Thursday, August 14, 2008

An Idea

Now here is a product that might really sell: On Demand Olympics.

Suppose you're a wrestling fan like Bunkerman and want to see some exciting Greco-Roman wrestling matches at the Olympics. You could sit around endlessly channel surfing on NBC and MSNCS and CNBC to try to find those, perhaps checking the online websites for times, IF you can find them. You'll never find them at convenient viewing hours because this sport is not popular with the masses.

So this morning around 4AM ET I went to the MSNBC website and clicked on wrestling and, mirabile dictu, I found that I could watch exciting matches on my computer ! I saw Japan v. Armenia and US v. Poland. Great action ! Now if I could do that on my TV while sitting comfortably on the couch with a beer, I'd probably watch for hours. I don't care if it's live, since I have no idea who won anyway. I just enjoy the competition and action. The online show had advertising, too - I saw an Exxon ad, among others, while viewing the events.

When will the Internet become integrated to the TV ? To me, that's a big market with new products that can be huge sellers, but it has to be done correctly to provide viewer flexibility.

Markets

Elmer (aka Greenspan) said the FNMA and Freddie Mac rescues were a mistake. What a knave ! He was part of the problem and now he's obeying his beefer masters in coming out with more negativity.

And the bears on cue hit the financials hard again since they can sell short with phony, virtual shares again. Hello SEC ? Are you blind or just stupid or bought by the beefers again ? I guess you need a job for 2009 and going to work for a beefer or Wall Street firm offers a good payday, so you do their bidding again.

Sigh ... DC is such a cesspool of knavery.

EU and France GDP were down. Europeans, say "Thank you" to the ECB for your pain.

I am doing nothing. My recent buys of CVX, DVN, FCX and RIG are partially ofsetting the drops in the fins. With new money coming in soon to Krypto Fund, I plan to buy some gold & silver if they are still depressed. This is mere asset allocation, not a LT call.

Word of the Day

"Palpable" - adjective [$10] (an easy one)
Palpable means 1. one that can be touched or felt; 2. readily perceived by the senses or mind.
Sentence: The palpable disarray of Bush foreign policy is dangerous to world peace.

Bonus Word

"Copse" - noun [$10] (this word is seem often in military writings and in literature)
Copse means 1. = coppice which means a. a thicket, grove or growth of small trees; b. forest originating mainly from shoots or root suckers rather than seed; 2. (in general use) a small wood.
Sentence: (A) Small units moving might hide and regroup in a copse during the day to avoid detection from air reconnaisance. (B) A sniper would be stupid to hide in a copse, as that is the obvious place and a likely target for mortars or artillery. A well-camouflaged hole a safe distance in front of the copse is much better.*

* This observation is adapted from readings of successful snipers from World War I.

43 comments:

mfl59 said...

a CPI # comes out like this one and mern is nowhere to be found? spinny get on the horn pal...

Bud said...

Hank throwin in the towel?? wavin the white flag??

come on......i don't like this ownership at all


"ching ming gook is better than beckett"

lmaooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Bunkerman said...

Maybe a new squeeze is keeping mern busy - hope she's not in her nonage.

;-)

Bunkerman said...

or he's waiting for me to concede "stagflation" - not yet. No stag "yet" and core CPI is only 2.5% year over year.

Frosty said...

Bunky...$VIX looks to be moving higher, thnik about calls again, worked well after the last bear tape rally...SEC better get on the stick asap to hold the short sellers back...in fact, Ben should lower rates again...well, perhaps not, but bears are coming....coming after this tape in a big way unless your pinko buddies stop them.

Bud said...

what does the 'ops expo thursday' algorithm say?? anything ?

or is it gonna be a quiet summer day.....that's ok.......i'll watch the queers wrestle......frosty watches wrestling..... he loves queers

or maybe i go get a manicure......need my nails sharpened

Frosty said...

Bud they are playing the girls LL world series here in south alaska (on ESPN daily)...no time for much else.

Frosty said...

Bud...model data feeds altered, corrupted by the SEC making short fins illegal and chasing speculators from the energy markets...with quant funds accounting for 50% of trades, Fleck says up to 70%, there models are at risk of extreme variations...I think the net result is a much higher levels in the $vix...I think we see $vix levels north of 50 in the months to come...ping pong rules.

Bud said...

uh........i'm not sure what frosty just meant

but if i understood correctly....... there is no 'ops expo' trade this time

what a bunch of crap


PS.......pretty f'ng disgusting that frosty watches girls LL........he makes me sick

Frosty said...

as for postitions this week, no change, working fine, have scalped the QID a could times against a core position.

Frosty said...

oohhhhhhh...strike one...oh brother...I need another cup of joe and a parodi to clear my head.

Frosty said...

Bud taking POT today for a 185 pin...traded open interest all ready this morning above par at 180 today.

Bud said...

i am buying POT ? or frosty is buying POT?? i don't get it

and the open interest says it will close at 185 ?? huh??


sheeeesh

mfl59 said...

ADD SIZE POT

Frosty said...

sure I will regret this...but find myself missing merny story time...toys tounges adventures job divorce...a great day for a stagflation rant.

xoxoxo mern, please come back.

Frosty said...

after all he is our favorite flaazzhole

Bud said...

hmmm......frosty never answered my POT question


must have been a f'ng paper trade



PS......good job spin on AIXG

Spin-em said...

Dont mess with coach Coughlin merny

Bunkerman said...

true re stagflation rant ... might be getting close ... I heard that real wages fell this month with BLS numbers. But one month doesn't make a "stagflation".

Bunkerman said...

uh Bud, frosty left out the "," after your name. He is taking/took some POT for a 185 pin.

maybe you didn't send him the 3K sub. fee hence a bit of a code

;-)

Bud said...

now we know where mern is

busy hidin from the FBI


die eagles die !!!!

Spin-em said...

I say he either
1 got canned living in a van..down by the river
2 on a date with Casey and got the shovel treatment
3 jail
4 hospital
5 hangin from a light in his old bedroom(skankbroken)

Bud said...

#5 is hilarious

LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Bud said...

thanks Bman.......i get it now


PS.......Bman can you ask the readers not to post any paper trades. No one is obliged to post any trades......but if you do.........make them f'ng real. thank you.

mfl59 said...

please define "shovel treatment"...thank you....

Spin-em said...

Fast Money comes on and Rev just kicked his dog...wtf?says the dog

Bunkerman said...

I suspect mern is just "drained" of all his energy by his new ... uh ...

He's probably busy in the AM, too.

Bunkerman said...

bot MBI; sold WM calls and bot the common.

Just speculations ... small positions.

Bunkerman said...

that is, I sold the WM calls I bot a few weeks ago and bot equiv. common.

Bunkerman said...

these two are multiple month plays now for me, but probably not a year..

Spin-em said...

no way he's not postin here if he's at work..I know he was told not to but..pfftttt

Bud said...

Bman you don't like to watch fencing??

i thought will your interest in the history of warfare and arms and knives......you would like it

Bunkerman said...

yes, I like fencing ... I took some classes in it once.

(have been cleaning my Thompson in the barn)

Bunkerman said...

I have a sword collection, too.

Swords, spears, shields, maces, etc. Rather nice, in my humble opinion. I can give a short lecture to guests over martinis about the history of edged weapons..

Frosty said...

the weapons collection have a wing within the new Bunky memorial library.

Bunkerman said...

frosty - that's the rifles, mortars, shells, MG, etc.

Edged weapons are in my Great Hall

;-)

Spin-em said...

"The Romans were the first to figure a good sword had 2 sharp edges and a point"...another Blue Moon men?

Bunkerman said...

I have a replica of a gladius - the Roman sword - very potent weapon if you have a big shield and fight in a line.

Frosty said...

POT someone with open arms taking all near 180 comers...6.5k traded today against open interest of 3.8...someone gonna be pissing blood.

mfl59 said...

bunkerman what is the reasoning behind your MBI purchase sir? thank you...

Bunkerman said...

I think mortgage defaults won't be as bad as many think and the company will come out of this fine.

After a year or so I think the muni insurance will return as many small communities really need this insurance to provide ifor their bonds. No one can analyses those little cities & towns, etc.

I suspect the current ratings are low (They are A being a decent investmetn grade) and the stocks, even if they just run off, are woth a good bit more than the current price.

So I am looking for a 100% gain on my small positions when the panic mongering washes out.

These are like Leaps on my thinking on mortgage mess.

Bunkerman said...

MBI had really good earnings, too, this Q. Not sure how much I believe them, but lying now would be a jail offense so I tend to believe them.

So their good earnings is consistent with my thinking that the botttom is in.

Frosty said...

Bunky...that is purely a function of what the fins reported ie MBI...recall we went over the Q's of BAC and WFC and found the "surprise" upside...we should have been in front of that, just a thought for the future...berry good juice and a nice bar today, keep us posted.