Thursday, February 4, 2010

A Command State ?

The Ruling Classes in DC seem to have decided to grab powers that were never contemplated in the US Constitution. I mean the power to order the people - you, each person - to do whatever the ruling classes desire, or suffer punitive fines. This is a positive order to command an action / behavior, not a subsidy or prohibition.

The instantiation* of this seizure of power is the mandate in ObamaCare that each person MUST buy health insurance or suffer a fine.

The Supreme Court has ruled that Congress has no power to order States to do positive actions; Congress gets its way by subsidies or threat to withhold other funding. Such rulings were based on the Tenth Amendment, which states that "The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people." Notice that "the people" have an equal status in this Amendment.

Where else does the US Constitution permit the Federal Government to command the people ? I can find only in its right to raise armies, viz. draft people into the military. There is plenty of power to regulate and restrict activity, but that's NOT the power to give you orders to do something which you may not wish to do. There is power to tax in several places, but imposing fines for not doing something is not a tax.


One can find strong evidence that contrary view holds, viz. that the Federal Government has no powers to command the people except through a military draft.


The 13th Amendment in part states, "Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction." Is not a command to do something a form of involuntary servitude ? What else could it be but that power of a Baron to command his slaves or serfs to do work. There is no exception here for a general or implied power of the United States to command the people.

The Third Amendment states, "No Soldier shall, in time of peace be quartered in any house, without the consent of the Owner, nor in time of war, but in a manner to be prescribed by law." This was put into the Constitution because of centuries of abuses by English kings in forcing the people to quarter soldiers [here, "quarter" means to house and feed]. The kings did that either to avoid asking parliament for funds, as King Charles I did in the English Civil war, or as the English Parliament did in 1765 to force the colonies to pay for the support of British troop, and not the English people. That abuse was cited in the Declaration of Independence and led to the Third Amendment.

I see no logical conclusion but that the individual mandate in ObamaCare is unconstitutional and an abuse of power.

That doesn't mean that I don't support a universal health care benefit in the US. My blog post of October 21, 2009 specified the right way to provide this. You can find it in the Blog Archive on the right, but here's a direct link:

http://viewfromthebunker.blogspot.com/2009/10/solution-to-health-care-dilemma.html


My view on how to raise the money has changed, however. See my blog post of November 24, 2009; here's the link:

http://viewfromthebunker.blogspot.com/2009/11/to-solve-twin-deficits.html

If Congress would do the right thing, it could solve the three largest problems facing America: lack of jobs, budget deficits, and access to health care for the people. If Congress did this, I'm sure they would go down in history as the greatest Congress since the 1st Congress. But their current path is to go along the path of King Charles I and King George III in seizing more power and oppressing the people.

Markets

Waiting. I was a bit disappointed in the ISM Services #. Jobs in the US will mostly come from services, so that sector need to get a lot stronger.

PS: Sold the spec longs out. The crappy jobs number made the decision for me. If I hadn't, the Green-Red rule would have told me to sell anyway. Small net loss. Standing aside for now.

Word of the Day

"Instantiation" - noun [$10] noun, from "instantiate" = verb [$10]
Instantiate means to represent by an instance; (alternate) to represent (an abstract concept) by a concrete or tangible example.
Sentence: See * above.

29 comments:

maverick said...

tell Ed Begley to bring in the Prius

mfl59 said...

Bunkerman do your part sir...hire a few more servants...

Bunkerman said...

oh servants .... nope nfw.

I hire lots of workers - self-employed people doing their part to make America strong.

Just paid a bundle to have a chimney re-lined.

then paid a plumber to replace a toilet ...

Bman supports the working class men & women of the USA with his money and mouth !!!

Bunkerman said...

I think I'll dump the spec longs .. just don't see buyers higher now.

Frosty said...

spec longs...flipper indeed sir, I hear ya Bunky...we seem to want to waste a decent oversold condition while we fret over your nazi heros attempt to implement their police state manifesto.

Bunkerman said...

just because I gave the guy a chance for six months, didn't make him my friend ...

Mrs. B reminds me of that error quite often :((

Bunkerman said...

or hero. ughhhhhhhh.

trying to be "fair" gets my punished ...

maverick said...

Mrs. B a very smart lady.....when will she guest post Bman?

Bunkerman said...

she gives me some ideas, and I sometiems run ideas past her, but I doubt if she want to write here.

She's written huge amounts in other forums, but mostly about scientific matters.

Bunkerman said...

Green-Red rule would have taken me out if I hadn't made the decision. Small loss, moving on.

Frosty said...

hang in there Bunky...Sal is the only one we root against u know.

Frosty said...

"trying to be "fair" gets me punished"...bill o'reilly feels you pain indeed sir.

Spin-em said...

frosty arm twister2...not really your fault Bunk..ice the elbow big guy

Spin-em said...

since we dont have mern...it be cool if Mrs B wrote about galaxy 1H0707-495...and the black hole thats eating the equivalent of 2 Earths per second...

mfl59 said...

mern apparently in Scotland...US midfielder Damarcus Beasley had his car blown up yesterday outside his home in Glasgow...

Bunkerman said...

I'll pass it on, but I wonder if the Q is not a bit facetious since it came with a refernce to mern ... and involves ... uh you can guess.

;-)

Frosty said...

Bunky...this tape still have the beefermudhole games feel to it or will you be loading belts this afternoon.

Spin-em said...

nonono it was real....If I didnt mention the mern deal frosty would have so I got it out of the way..lol.....very interesting

Frosty said...

black hole..hehehehe

Bunkerman said...

I don't see any reason for real buyers to step up; jobs numbers are crappy.

factories & exports are OK, but that's no the big part of the economuy.

Congress is a mess. Obama is no leader for a crisis. Once Ben's leadership no longer critical (soon), the bench is weak.

Bunkerman said...

I passed it on; might make a fun post.

Spin-em said...

Great!!!..thanks Mrs B

mfl59 said...

might be time to liquidate the Krypto Fund

Spin-em said...

good eye bunk...dont fall for that crap

Frosty said...

Sal...have you people gained access to a dirty bomb sir.

Bunkerman said...

Green-Red rule proved itself again today.

Bunkerman said...

Krypto Fund might want me to buy; will check in the AM.

Frosty said...

I thouhgt were getting ready to shut down the blog and lay the constantan wire, primer the mines and poooppppp on the punji sticks.

Bunkerman said...

"I thouhgt were getting ready to shut down the blog and lay the constantan wire, primer the mines and poooppppp on the punji sticks.


I'm always "ready" to do that ...

I am not weak ... or unprepared.

byw, I think it's "concertina" wire.

Mine is ultra sharp ...