Monday, September 10, 2007

Another Monday

FYI, I will be on vacation in Scotland from Tuesday, Sept. 11 thru Tuesday, Sept. 18 and will not be able to make new posts. My fecund brain [ ;-) ] will probably become overloaded with ideas - I'll jot them onto index cards. I guess when the Fed makes up its mind on 9/18 I'll be in an airport or on a plane coming home. I'm staying long as I think they'll wise up and cut 50 bps. If they do, the economic trajectory should be fine.

Sighhhh. Bunkerman right again. I wonder if the WSJ reads my blog. This morning's paper has an article that "hedge funds" are messing up technical signals. In all modesty [ ;-) ] I've been pointing that out for months - maybe a couple of years. The article is a bit focused on one signal, but actually I think many or most are no longer valid or greatly corrupted.

Another WSJ article documents the weak labor market in the MidWest. This is more evidence that the Fed is completely out of touch. What the heck are they blabbing about a "high resource utilization" when unemployment in Michigan is ... 7.2%!!! More broader, unemployment in the five-state region [WI, MI, OH, IN, IL] is 5.7%. Fed fools live in cosseted DC suburbs on government paychecks. Sheesh, they need slapped round a bit!

This sure seems like the mid 1980s mid cycle slowdown when the MidWest was hurt by ... Volcker's Fed. Grrrrrrrrrrrr. Why is it always the common working man - often the MidWesterner - who bears the brunt of Fed mistakes? Maybe some resources should be freed up by laying off some DC bureaucrat?

Dubai to invest big $$$ in India and China. Sign of the new "Asian Co-Prosperity Zone?

I think the high LIBOR rates are OPEC and Russian petrodollars being held back from European bank deposits. This creates a shortage of Eurodollars. There are important, technical differences between a Eurodollar and a dollar in the US. The Fed creating dollars in the US does NOT necessarily create dollars in Europe. Eurodollars are mostly created continuously by the US current account deficit with oil being the largest. So if the holders of petrodollars buy T-bills instead of depositing the money in London banks, for example, the no Eurodollar is created. Hence a shortage of Eurodollars, especially for term lending, occurs. [Overnight Eurodollars can be created with match funds from US banks lending to Europe, but not term 30-60-90 day or longer funds as the US banks would not take the risk of the non-match funding.]

PS: Babblevision has a fine report from Fitch that corporate credit is very strong, surprisingly. Corporate cash flow is strong and maturites are well spaced. Another arrow for the bear backs ;-)

PPS: Uh oh, Babblevision is spotlighting gold, talking up a $850 target. Darn.

50 comments:

Spin-em said...

note to Giants D.....THE MIDDLE IS WIDE OPEN.....

Bunk...what about the dogs????lol

Bud said...

I wud luv to take a trip to scotland one day ( also ireland). You gonna eat Mcdonalds there too?

PS....i wud prolly go to a celtics or rangers match.

Bud said...

Yup. Those huge govt paychex. Cossetted suburbs? whatever that means lmaoooooooo

Bud said...

Jets D looked real good too. I knew jets were in trouble when pats got randy moss for a 4th round pick. He's a monster. I luv his game. Brady gonna luv throwin to moss.

Bunkerman said...

The dogs stay at a "Palace" boarding center where they are well treated and get plenty of play & exercise. There's on-site vet care, too.

Bunkerman said...

"cosset" is a useful $10 word meaning "to pamper, coddle"

Bunkerman said...

I doubt if I'll hit McD's there. They speak English so I won't have trouble ordering food. In Paris that can be a problem so I needed a break. In Kiev it was an experiment. The McDs were quite good in both places. The Cokes were better than here as they use real sugar there, not that fake "high fructose corn syrup" used here.

Spin-em said...

gold all over bubblevision...bunk,mfl hitting the sell button?

Bunkerman said...

Not selling mine as I want to buy physical gold in late October. My contracts lock in my price.

I'll wait for $1,000 to let some go or hedge the physical gold I own. I don't think $850 is that much of a spike over the old high.

Bunkerman said...

But the babblevsion piece sure increases the odds of a pullback, imho.

mfl59 said...

ELI....brilliant son...where's the D?

Go Scarlet Knights go!!!

Spin-em said...

Fed Ex Cup

The players win money at each playoff event, as usual, but the FedEx Cup money is deferred. It goes into their retirement accounts, and they can't access it until they turn 45. The player can choose to invest the money, so it can grow over time. Once a player elects to begin collecting, he'll get monthly payments for five years. Players can defer payment until they turn 60 or play in fewer than 15 events in a year.

Spin-em said...

.....at least we can count on Donny mern

maverick said...

iggles...nice special team performance

Frosty said...

Bunkerman, you should have a guest blogger keep your virtual world active while on vacation...your fans would appreciate it, the common man you know.

seahawks back to superbowl form...ppfftt

Bud said...

Gimme a break frosty. Sea-pigeons are a joke. They must have pictures of the scedule-maker in a men's room with larry craig.

Bunkerman said...

true Frosty, but who?

I'd have to give up my password - a risky thing to do.

I suppose mern would be good ;-)))

Bunkerman said...

beside, I have his address so if if screwed me I could stalk him hehehe ;-))

Bunkerman said...

not this time, though.

Bunkerman said...

I'm probably post something early tomorrow AM. If you guys wish, you can post comments for the week on it.

Maybe I'll set up mern or someone else next vacation. That might be fun.

Frosty said...

Bunkerman...that inverse h&s looking like a failure...a skeptic would say it is a failure...I would say the devil, GS is just gutting beefers, eating their own to make numbers...either way those tea leafs looking like a trap. the common man would be well served to step aside or hedge like a mad man.

what good has come in the past when the fed is behind the curve?

Bunkerman said...

The trend line break down looks not good.

Hard to say, Frosty - when has the Fed NOT been behind the curve?

I don't like the complacency the Fed speakers are indicating. They cause a problem & then don't see it. Worrisome.

Bud said...

Bman aren't you the one always rantin about 'holiday junkets' in davos and jaxon hole? A 1 week vacation in scotland? Yup. That's a common man hotspot.

mfl59 said...

Scotland eh Bunkerman...I agree with Bud...you need to take in a Celtic or Rangers match while you are there....please don't eat any haggis mate...perhaps a stroll around St. Andrews for you as well...

Spin-em said...

aye....go for the lamb fries record!!

Is St Andrews $800 a round?...

Frosty said...

Bunkerman...is it your plan to were a skirt...if so, do us proud and roll commando.

Frosty said...

Bud, can you spare a square.

Bunkerman said...

No haggis for me. I know what that is. I'm not making the mistake I made in New Zealand trying the "whitebait patties" ughhhh!!!

How about lunch in a local pub to fit in with the common man?

Bunkerman said...

haha no kilts for me!

Joke: Why do Scottish men wear kilts?
...
...
...
...
...
...
Because Scottish sheep are afraid of the sound of zippers.


An Irish bartender told me that one lolol

Bunkerman said...

Better ask Bud that, Spin. He plays those rich men's clubs.

Bud said...

St andrews is 600 a round i think....also need a USGA 12 handicap to play. So i can't get on.

Bud said...

But Carnoustie is 125 and all are welcome. If i ever get to scotland that's where i wud play.

Bunkerman said...

Perhaps I get the "Roots" pass re the "common man" as I am 3/32 or more Scottish decent from about 200-230 years ago.

Bud said...

Bman you have nuthin in 'common' with the common man. What you gonna talk to him about? the uptick rule?

lmaoooooooooooo

Spin-em said...

..Bunk...you have a bunker,gold,silver,weapons,MRE's at your base..now..are you going over there unprotected?..lol

mfl59 said...

are real buyers making their way back in here?

Bunkerman said...

Re the common Scotsman: I can talk to him about rugby and the world cup. I played rugby in college and grad school. Scotland crushed Portugal 56-10 on Sunday.

I played "prop" in the scrum. :-))

I even scored a try against Yale!

"Real Men Play Rugby"

Bunkerman said...

One of my shooting buddies is guarding with his Ma Deuce and Thompson hehehe

Plus the mud pits, wire and alarms and poisen ivy filled woods keep out most "innocent " intruders.

Hmmm I wonder if I should put puniji sticks in the open pits in the woods?

Bunkerman said...

hmm it does look like they took advantage of the dip, mfl.

Bunkerman said...

Yeah, going unprotected to Scotland. I'm vulnerable traveling, but being a common man, I fit in well.

Bud said...

lmaoooooooooooo puniji stix

mfl59 said...

lmaoooo common man...not many common men i know have 67 degrees from harvard and mit

Bud said...

GS gutted their beefer hard it seems.

lmaooooooooo

Spin-em said...

aye.....just rely on your knife fighting skills...maybe you can pick up a pair of nunchucks with the Bunkerman Crest on em so you can sleep at night...lol

Bunkerman said...

well, I know what a flare nut wrench is - that qualifies me as a common man.

And I know how to grease wheel bearings by hand. :-))

Bunkerman said...

I also learned improvised weapons training hehe.

I'm not sure a Bowie knife in the luggage would go over well.

Bunkerman said...

A green S&P cash close keeps the potential inverse H&S intact and rejects the trend line break down.

Bunkerman said...

a ping-pong day.

mern said...

have a great time, may i suggest a quick pass through the Netherlands!

saw an interesting article today in the USA today, guessing from last week.

rents r going to the moon, thats 31% of the CPI. how is that being reflected in the monthly data? oh i forgot, the BLS simply makes the data.

like the fed needed amno to cut, so we lose jobs for the first time in 4 yrs, with downward revivsions to previous months.

and how about the 31 billion injection after they saw the report on wed?

its complete BS!!

what did yellen mutter today. the fed isnt there to make up for people financial losses, and inflation "shud start to rollover"

LOL, just like the sub prime blowup wud remain contained to the buds of the world.

i know they r part psychologist, but give me a break.

mern said...

eagles SUCK!

phillies sux more!