Thursday, September 20, 2007

The Charts

Unless I'm doing a mathematical asset allocation or making a major fundamental decision, I always look at the charts to get some guidance on the timing of a move that I am thinking about doing.

For example, I hold quite a bit of ORCL in the Alpha Fund. I've been wondering lately if I can get my target 30% in that stock over the next year. I'm up about 50% on half the position over about 18 months and about 30% on the other half over a year. So I've got long term capital gains treatment on all of it. The stock is about 21 and I need over 27 to get 30%.

Can that stock get there? Earnings are due today PM. Recent earnings growth is excellent with average quarterly year over year growth of 26% and good revenue growth, too. The PE is 20x. [I'm using data from http://www.dailygraphs.com/ - I subscribe to it.]. So if earnings growth continues, the stock is well undervalued. My growth valuation model gives a "fair" value of over 30 on conservative assumptions.

What does the chart say? The daily chart shows a bullish cup & handle near the break point. The weekly chart shows a bullish rough C&H, too. It's not extended and looks to be breaking into "blue sky" country. The monthly chart shows an uptrend out of a three year base. All these are good indicators. So I'm not selling now. I think 27-30 is possible as long as the company performs, which it has been doing.

The Indexes:
Ms. Market had solid buying yesterday, reportedly from public buying of mutual funds. That is excellent. Public mutual funds buyers are "real buyers" and can persist awhile. They've been missing from the market too long. Yesterday's solid move gave us the second close over the S&P 500's inverse H&S bottom pattern's neckline, confirming the move. There will be strong resistance at the old highs of 1555.90 and maybe at the prior 1540 peak, too. So some consolidation should occur.

The Russell 2000 confirmed the upside breakout over the ascending triangle.

Buy dips. It's a bull market.

YTD Performance:
The asset allocation moves I made in the Krypto Fund paid off. It's up year to date 7.9%, which is a high for the year. Gold and the real estate recovery helped a lot, too.

The Alpha Fund is also at YTD highs, +51.8%. The oils and miners have recovered and the banks are contributing now.

I've stopped trading commodities actively so will no longer mention that account. I just use it for gold & silver hedges or futures buys of physical gold & silver I want to take down, or for stock index trades now. I don't need the money or stress of trading commodities anymore.

PS: Babblevision is awash in bears this AM. "Sucker's rally" "Dead cat bounce" Talk about inflation when the facts show the trend in inflation is ... down ... and core yoy PCE inflation is ... under 2%. Lots of delusional bears. Good.

PPS: I cut back a bit at the close yesterday, taking some long term "sugar" [aka profits - LT gains] on some big positions. For example, I sold 20-30% of a few big miners and oils and AAPL. These are really big positions and I wanted to get down to about 150% net long again. I was very long ( 200%+ ) on the buying of the banks I did in this summer dip. I like to be only 150% long when we approach long term highs and beyond. Holding the rest - nothing has changed and I think they all go much higher. This was money management and I want more buying power if we get another dip in October.

32 comments:

mfl59 said...

B'man, aren't the big mutual fund companies always in the market, and always adding to their positions as money flows in? Why is it different now?

Bunkerman said...

the mutual funds haven't been getting positive cash flows for a long time.

Bunkerman said...

Looks like GS did a good job gutting its beefer clients hehehe

Bud said...

What a phony you are Bman. You're happy GS gutted its clients. Cuz it helps you. What about the common man? Gimme a f'ng break!!


lmaooooooooooooooooooooooo

Bunkerman said...

lololololol

GS shorts mortgages to drive down the price then gives margin calls to beefer clients to force them to sell ... mortgages so GS can cover.

They are like a T-Rex in eating their beefer clients.

Sheesh. What scum.

A complete conflict of interests.

Bunkerman said...

not happy, Bud. Just chuckling at their brazen acts. And everyone kisses their butts. Not me.

They need an SEC investigation.

Bunkerman said...

I don't own that stock - GS. They suck. NFW I'd buy that on principal. Ditto BSC. Ditto MER.

I do own MS, btw.

No opinion LEH.

Bud said...

SEC investigation? Ugh. Bman wants the SEC to investigate everyone in the markets. Too help the common man of course.

die SEC die !!!!!

mfl59 said...

lmaoooo...GS is very shady....like a glorified boiler room

Frosty said...

Bunkerman...alpha ytd highs...poking the bear with a stick again...last time you posted performance highs we melted down...is this your way to say Die Market Die.

Bunkerman said...

I remembered that when I put it up, frosty. But I have to be honest with readers to show that my thinking can pay off.

I was knocking on wood as I hit "post"

mfl59 said...

Bunerkman with those results you should raise some money and form your own beefer entity...

Frosty said...

I did notice this time you did some selling...well done.

Bunkerman said...

nfw, mfl ... that would be a job. Ugh.

I did that a couple years ago for a friend - I hated it and it affected my decisions.

I only handle my Mother's money. lolol she gets a "put" to me for any losses lolol

I told her that a few years ago so she'd never have to worry.

Frosty said...

CLC 36.20 darkside....bounce cat bounce.

Bunkerman said...

hey, my single malts from Scotland arrived. They shipped it express mail and it took less than a week.

Four bottles of 30+ year old Scotch, three are single malts.

They told me one can order online, too. The savings in VAT more than pay for the shipping. They told me they've never had a problem with four bottle orders. (up to six actually). I bought mine at teh store in Edinburgh with help from the clerk.

see www.royalmilewhiskies.com

Frosty said...

MLF...sucker rally....hearing that alot today...lower high etc...we need to test the metal of the dip buyers and after this huge ops expo bear hunt, the real buyers were the real sellers...just passing along what I'm hearing...seems the wall of worry is in place.

Bunkerman is getting drunk today while rolling in long term sugar...enjoy.

Frosty said...

Bud...make sure we get the NFL football picks if you planning on a little pasture pool friday.

mfl59 said...

Frosty may I have your thoughts on the natural gas mkt please?

Bunkerman said...

I thinbk this dollar-inflation worry stuff is the latest bear case of bubble-itits or contrarian-itis. I wrote about those diseases/syndromes awhile ago. Maybe that post needs a refressher hehehe

inflation panic with the yoy PCE at ... 1.9% delusional.

Frosty said...

natty is a buy on dips...over the next couple of months think we test the august high and take it out before the end of the year.

Bunkerman said...

GOOG is quietly closing in on its high

Frosty said...

MLF getting tough to keep my finger off the sell button for the rest of my GSS...hedge kicked out before the paint was dry...how long can KRY maintain the chavez put, if it won't move perhaps we should move it...you do have the conrner, how bout' a little open feild running.

Bud said...

Football picks? Did your sea-chickens practice handoffs from qb to rb? That fumble was sweet.


lmaoooooooooooooooooooo

Frosty said...

shut up Bud

Bunkerman said...

sheesh. another perma-bear on Babblevision. I guess that's really good news, but it's so depressing listening to these guys.

mfl59 said...

Bunerman what would make you bearish sir?

Bunkerman said...

hey hey hey Cleveland Indians way out front in the Central Division.

Go Tribe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bunkerman said...

sir? is that French lolol. I'm a common man from a small town ;-)))

For me to become a bear:
a) the Fed raises interest rates
b) a increase in the trend of yoy core PCE or CPI that sticks a few months
c) a new, big war somewhere that could interfere with the global economy
d) if mern become a bull ;-))

I'm leaving out outliers like a revolution in China, etc. Longer term, there are trends that cause me worry, such demographic Qs, or a big reversal in the US trade deficit that is fast. The WSJ had a story about that today, I think - but it was short on facts.

Bunkerman said...

A Red China invasion of Taiwan would be very bearish.

I think the world economy is on a very bullish trajectory baring stupid governmental actions. I've written about the new Asian Co-prosperity Zone - a self-supporting consumer driven sector that's developing. With great things in Central & Eastern Europe, China India on and on - the growth of freedom and private property rights - very good trends.

Bunkerman said...

Disinflation and moderate growth is a very bullish environment for stocks.

Bunkerman said...

good earnings out of ORCL. The chart tells all ... most of the time.