Wednesday, January 21, 2009

More Ughhhhh

The positive reversal of late last week was cancelled along with the Bush presidency yesterday. Strong, real selling came in due to the surprise losses at State Street Bank, which is major custody bank. Why they have surprise losses is a bit of a mystery. They seem to be eating losses of institutional money market funds whihc they manage in order to maintain that business line. I guess they made some investment errors. The stupidity of financial executives continues to amaze me. Such risks were taken for miniscule spreads by so many "smart" people.

In the UK, the huge losses at Royal Bank of Scotland over the long weekend stunned markets there, too.

But IBM had good earnings and a good 2009 forecast.

As mentioned yesterday, my posts will be brief for the next three weeks as I take one of my dogs to get some medical treatment. The appointments are in the morning and involve a long drive, so my time to work on posts is much more limited.

Perhaps I'll re-post some old favorites.

In a very long term stock account at Vanguard, I am accumulating CCJ, RIG, JPM, GOOG, DVN, AAPL, and BHP for now - in other words, my old favorites. I might pick so other ones later. I just buy a few shares on big dips, using time diversification. This account complements Mrs. B's Sky Fund. I guess I need a name for it ... thinking. I suppose she will kick my butt over time, but I must try.

Word of the Day

"Coryza" - noun [$10]; a Mencken word. Pronounced kuh ri' za.
Coryza means a catarral inflammation of the mucous membrane of the nose, caused, e. g., by a cold or hay fever; a cold in the head. [Latin from Greek 'koryza' meaning 'running at the nose']
Sentence: [" ... " part is from from Mencken's example] The Republican leaders are facing a long period of Democratic domination, "so they resign themselves to it gloomily, just as they resign themselves to coryza and monogamy."

11 comments:

Spin-em said...

best wishes from PA bunk...hope your pup feels better...

mfl59 said...

indeed Bunkerman....a man's dog is his most loyal friend....

maverick said...

love the dogs Bman
give them the best

mern said...

ill take a dog over a human any day.

hope it all works out.

boyz played an hour set and kicked it off with "dancin in the streets"

shud have seen that one coming

Bunkerman said...

Thanks. So it's going OK, but for these radiation treatments, I know that the third week is toughest on the dog. This is my oldest dog, Spikie, who has a non-malignant brain tumor (no surgery possible, but it's not so good for these anyway). If all goes well, she gets 1-3 years more; as she is almost 15, that's pretty good for her.

Frosty said...

Get well soon Spikie...your a good Dad Bunky.

mfl59 said...

posters and non-posters alike, what are we doing with AAPL earnings tonight?

Frosty said...

Geithner must read this blog...appears he's never wrong either:)

Bunkerman said...

Just holding my AAPL, warily.

That probably means it goes down 10 pts with my luck lately.

I'd think the Mac sales might be off more than expected with all the problems.

Frosty said...

Bunky a called strike down the pipe...where is my lil paki friend today...tap tap tap

Frosty said...

Mern's boss buying JPM..asked yesterday, hey mern buying...nutten, thanks pal...I said I was sorry QID...gesh