Monday, March 3, 2008

The Good, The Bad and the Ugly

I really like that movie by Clint Eastwood, whihc was the best of the "spaghetti westerns" - so named because they were made by Italian studios and had many Italian actors, but they were really filmed in Spain I understand.

The Good
Krypto Fund - down a mere 3.24% year to date. The gold & silver is really helping with a small assist from the fixed income investments (mostly TIAA annuity of Mrs. B).

The Bad
Alpha Fund is down 17.4% year to date. That would be worse except for the recent rallies of miners and oils like DVN. By the way, that is not my low of the year. In $ terms the pain is quite severe. I suppose the trading gods are punishing me some for my pride from last year's great gains.

The Ugly
I have big postions in WB and C and they really are stinking up my Alpha Fund. My C is down 37% on average and my WB is down 21%. I really bought too much of those two last fall and am paying for that "buck fever".

What to Do ?
For the Krypto Fund I continue selling gold and silver and buying stocks. I might buy more municipal bonds, too, if the prices are good. For the Alpha Fund, I will add more money today and might look for some stocks like the trannies that I sold in January to concentrate in the banks. The Alpah Fund is larger than I want, but these prices seem like generational lows to me.

PS: Warren Buffet agrees with Bunkerman on hedge funds - in the agregate they are losers :-)

PPS: I plan to accelerate my gold & silver sales - I still have as much to sell in $ terms to reach my desired allocation as when I started due to the continued rise in gold & silver prices.

Words of the Day - the '-jures' and more

"Abjure" - verb [$10]
Abjure means to renounce upon oath; to reject solemnly; to abstain from.
Sentence: Was George H. W. Bush lying when he abjured raising taxes with his famous "read my lips" statement ?

"Adjure" - verb [$10]
Adjure means charge or request (a person) solemnly or earnestly, esp. under oath.
Sentence: In a trial in the US, the judge will adjure a jury to do its duty under the law, but in the US, a jury is all-powerful and can deliver whatever verdict it sees fit.

"Conjure" - verb [$10 for this meaning, which is #5 in my dictionary and is pronounced con 'jure forthis usage with stress on the second syllable.]
Conjure as in con 'jure means to appeal solemnly to (a person).
Sentence: Will Hillary conjure voters in Ohio for supporters in a dignified Monday night speech, or resort to the crying that worked in New Hampshire ?

"Sapient" - adjective [$10] (accent is on the first syllable and the "a" is long as in "bay")
Sapient means extremely wise and discerning.
Sentence: In his testimony last week, Bernanke was not sufficiently sapient for the markets, as a sell-off followed.

"Moechian" - adjective [$10,000 ! ]
Moechian means of or relating to adultery. This word is derived from the Greek word for adultery. I saw it in the book, "History of the Byzantine State" by Gregory Ostrogorsky on pages 180 and 187. The usage referred to a divorce and subsequent remarriage by an Emperor which created a religous controvery in the Orthodox faith, called a moechian controversy.
Sentence: I saw a new movie has been made about the affair and subsequent marriage of Anne Boleyn and King Henry VIII of England, which began a moechian controversy that led to the creation of the Anglican Church. This event was quite similar to the 8th century moechian controversies of the Byzantine empire. Analogously, in that situation two Byzantine emperors attempted to become the leader of the faith, as Henry VIII did and succeeded in the 16th century in England. In Byzantium, the attempt failed.

27 comments:

mfl59 said...

On longer term investments do you use a mental stop loss, or uncle, point for individual positions?

Bunkerman said...

No. When I change my mind and think it will no longer work, I just sell it, regardless of price, and move on.

Some are flat awhile, and I've sold.

Frosty said...

Bunkerman...that dude from omaha is using the R word, as in, we are already there...no one on cnbc wants to argue the point...so it is said so it will be?

mfl59 said...

I think babblevision has it all wrong...if the dollar starts to rally and the commodity complex corrects severly, the equity market is going to take a big whack...

Bunkerman said...

If one is going to change the defintion midstream, the meaning of "recession" ceases to exist. I will stick to the original usage. babblevision just wants the headlines.

Bunkerman said...

strong commoditeis mean strong world economies ... I ahve belived taht for a few years, mfl, hence I agree.

I read the in my own research noticed the US starting to use a little bit less gasoline, so price is rationaling demand as it must if supply is constrained.

The US must use less so the rest of the world can get a bit more. I suspect their value per barrel of oil is higher than ours now as we are far down on the region of dimishing returns.

Bunkerman said...

I suppose I should not be amazed that Babblevision and so many "pundits" can't grasp simple economic situations, like rationing a fixed supply by price, as oil and other commodities are doing.

Bunkerman said...

off to sell more gold.

Frosty said...

Bunkerman...sell GOLD MIST while your at it...alpha fund will thank you.

Bud said...

you guys have me confused

is cnbc too bullish? or is it too bearish?

what a bunch of whiners

mfl59 said...

cnbc believes as oil and other commodities go up, the market is in danger....I say if commodities correct severely, the equity market is in bigger trouble...

that was a premature shot sir...

Frosty said...

MLF59...Bud served up decent pitch...base knock at best, they should looking for that one in the parking lot sir.

Bud said...

"cnbc believes"

huh???????????

i didn't realize cnbc has an official position on the markets

cnbc is in the business of reporting business news............they have dozens of guests on everyday expressing their opinions

is that so hard to understand? if the janitor can....you can too

Bud said...

btw, zeta has the gloom (ponzi scheme, dollar a joke, hank and ben, etc....) in overdrive today


loooooooooooooool

mfl59 said...

lmaoooo....ill rephrase....the majority of the talking heads who appear on cnbc....

spin you got my back sir? where are you?

mfl59 said...

"in the business of reporting news"...LMAOOOOOOOOO....come on sir....its a sideshow on that channel

Bud said...

i guess i need to warn the readers here....some disclosure is required


i have felt i was too harsh on the Bman recently...i been roughin him up pretty good......so i have decided to be more respectful and polite to him


which is good for him.....but bad for the rest of y'all.....cuz now my anger may be directed at some of you.....so you have been warned


frosty is safe though...........i'm tired of makin him my bitch

mfl59 said...

fire when ready big boy...

Bunkerman said...

Babblevison position is bearish now as they want the headlines and fear to grab the viewers attention.

CNBC "position" is to make money ... so their behavior is no surprise.

Uhh ... Abud, that one's in the parking lot ;-)))

Frosty said...

hang loose MLF59...meat is no where near the zone...that spilt finger just rolled over the plate.

Bunkerman said...

Pundits to appear are selected by CNBC to further the producers desire for ratings.

By the way, I have "friends" who now this process well for TV shows.

Frosty said...

Bunkerman...glad to see Bud is cutting you some slack...he really has taken you to task...should you not be thanking him?

Bunkerman said...

I'm a man and can take it as well as dish it out. This is a blog for freedom of expression ;-)

Frosty said...

uh Bunkerman...strike one.

mfl59 said...

bunkerman did you sell any silver today?

mfl59 said...

does the word byzantine, defined as highly intricate or complicated, qualify as a $10 word?

Bunkerman said...

re byzantine being a $10 word, yes.

re silver, no, I'll sell it Wdenesday. I hadn't gotten it from the bank. It's really heavy so must get it each time. Gold is lighter so I can get two or three sales each bank vault trip.