Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Irish Whiskey

Irish whiskey has always been on of my favorite drinks. During the 1980s and early 1990s after a hard workout on the weights, I would go to the New York Athletic Club "Tap Room" bar for some refreshment and convivial conversation. During winters I drank Irish whiskey, straight on the rocks. Brendan, the bar's loquacious Irish bartender at the time, always enjoyed pouring me a Jameson. And of course when some beefy fellow down the bar ordered a glass of wine or Coor's Light, he would grimace.

I bear a surname well-known to the Irish; it has a rich heritage there with connections to the early Norman knights who went to Ireland in the 12th century and stayed. I'm not claiming any connection to the nobility - I suspect the name was borrowed from the Duke by one of the saloon keepers on his estate at the time the common man was ordered to take a surname. And I know my great, great, great grandfather ran a saloon in SE central Ohio about 200 years ago. All that is to point out that drinking Irish whiskey might have some deep and long connection to me.

Thus on this St. Patrick's Day I write about Irish Whiskey.

Most Irish whiskey is distilled three times versus double distilling for most Scotch twice. Peat is rarely used in the malting process, so that Irish Whiskey has a smoother finish as opposed to the smokey overtones common to some Scotches. There is lots of variety and overlap in the flavors, of course. If you like Scotch, I urge you to branch out and try Irish Whiskey. It's rather simple to buy: unlike Scotch, there are a limited number of brands. The quality is very high in them.

Here is my primer. For ease, I have classed them alongside some well known Scotch whiskies. The Irish whiskey is a bit less expensive in general, simply as it's less well known and can bear less price premium.

TOP

Jameson Gold - this is the best Irish whiskey that I've ever had. The flavor and finish reminded me of Johnny Walker Blue. Both bring to mind a fine cognac with whiskey flavor. Cost is around $60 per bottle (750 ml).

UPPER MIDDLE

(A) Black Bush from Bushmills. This whisky is a bit lighter and very, very smooth. I class it alongside Johnny Walker Gold. Cost about $40-50 per bottle.

(B) Bushmills Single Malt. As a single malt you'd expect a stronger flavor and you get it. Johnny Walker Green is the parallel scotch product. Cost is about $40-50 per bottle.

MIDDLE

(A) Tullamore Dew 12 year old - very fine, very smooth. About $30 per bottle.

(B) Jameson 12 year old - my standard at the NYAC bar. About $30 per bottle.

Both are analogous to Johnny Walker Black.

LOWER (A very high low)

Jameson - good, full flavor, reasonable price at around $15-20 per bottle.

My bar has far fewer Irish whiskeys that Scotch simply because there are few brands. If you stick to products of Jameson or Bushmills, you'll get a fine product. Try them and experiment. I'm always on the lookout for new Irish whiskeys. The distillers are slowly moving out new premium products as they lag far, far behind the Scottish distillers in creating brand differentiation and premium, niche products.

HOW TO DRINK

I drink them in two ways. One way is simply on the rocks in a short glass: I fill the glass with ice and add the whiskey. I let the ice melt a bit to make the taste better. Again as with Scotch, I think the cold water brings out the flavors and aromas better and permits better mouth-feel and taste as the bite of the alcohol is cut a bit.

The second way again follows my Scotch drinking pattern. I pour the correct amount into a special curved whisky glass that brings out the color and texture, then add a single ice cube to the glass. I let it melt and then sip the fine whiskey. I also swirl the whiskey around the glass and enjoy its color and aroma. Last night I had a glass of Jameson Gold in this manner - it was exquisite.

OK, I admit it: last night I had a taste-a-thon of the top three Irish whiskeys listed above as research for this post :)

Markets

The grind up continues. Krypto has no sell orders this morning, but some might be close at hand. CLF in Fido Fund is up a lot - I need to look at its chart to see if it's in sell territory. I had expected that company to be taken over at a high price, but if it gets to my sell range, I'll let is go anyway.

Word of the Day

"Educe" - verb, transitive [$10]
Educe means 1. to bring out or develop from latent or potential existence: elicit; 2. infer, elicit a principle or number from data.
Sentence: In the "humble" [ ;) ] opinion of Bunkerman, a small ice cube added to whiskey educes its inherent flavor and aroma to come forth in much more quantity for a more enjoyable drink.

35 comments:

maverick said...

Premium post Bman...you and mernie do have something in common...you both like "Black Bush". :)

Bud said...

good morning Bman !!!!!!!!!!!!!


whiskey...........yuck..................i don't like the taste............it too hard and bitter for me


PS..............the only whiskey i can enjoy...........johnniewalker blue

Bunkerman said...

lol mav.

Bud said...

krypto ?? sky ?? what the F ???


what is wrong with you Bman ??? you lettin dogs pick stocks for you ....your wife pickin stox.....huh??? you went to beefer U.............beefers are havin a huge 2010...........they are raising money like it was 2006 again.......come on Bman...........use the skills you learned at beefer U

Bud said...

yes toddler you motherF-ers!!!!!!!................it's a f'ng expression


here's another expression..........f'ng douchebags

Bud said...

holy smokes.............this run i am havin is goin on 3 weeks............unreal



On siÄ™ kocha w Kubie

Bud said...

Bman these are some of the drinks i enjoy


lemon drop

kamikaze

white russian



you ever have them ??

mfl59 said...

"what a douche"

beefers are having a most difficult time raising money...wake up son...get your facts straight...you arent talking to pat here pal...

Bud said...

hey frosty........do you people consider liza minelli a national hero ??

Spin-em said...

havent had whiskey in a long while...think since I was just a toddler of 24

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

Bunkerman said...

my god, Bud ... are you a few bricks short of a full load ? ... not the sharpest knife in the drawer ?


don't you see I'm making metaphors & jokes. I name the funds I use to manage my risk after my dogs for "fun".

Sheesh ...

re Mrs. B ... she needed to learn how to invest if I get run over by a trgcuk, so I put a good bit of money in an account for her. She has areal broker & I just look over her shoulder a bit & answer Qs.

She has done very, very well over the past three years.

Bunkerman said...

whie Russians are OK, I prefer the black Russian.

never had the others.

Bud said...

lmaooooooooooooooooo Bman


'mission accomplished'



PS.............alright Bman.......callin off the dogs..............i'll go back to smackin frosty around............he enjoys it .....ya'know............since he's a........

Spin-em said...

Im 300% sure..Ill have a Rock today Frost

Bunkerman said...

sold CLF in Fido Fund; over 100% gain in about six months.

Bud said...

6 months ...............lmaoooooooooooooooooo



great trade Bman

Bud said...

hey frosty.....do you people consider bette midler a national hero ??

mfl59 said...

Friday has been titled "carbomb day" here in nj....the keg is ready...the jamison is ready...the trash can is ready...bring it on...

Mikey said...

Bunky...yesterday Cramer celebrated his 5th anniversary on mad money...did you congratulate him...didnt you know him at Harvard

Bunkerman said...

haha, no I did not know him there. I've never met him nor talked to him.

Spin-em said...

todays the day we remember drunk times..like when spin bros & friend closed the bar 2AM on a Saturday night..drove to Newark..flew to Baltimore where I almost deplaned rented a car and drove home...but flew to Pheonix and just got to the Giants/Cardinals game with an hour or so to spare....they lost....buddy said Ill pay ya back $$...still waitin...mf'rLOOOOOL

mfl59 said...

LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Bud said...

Bman weren't you there when bill gates and paul allen were there ??

surely some of your classmates ended up in boardrooms of fortune500 companies.......prolly a couple ceo's......or Congress..........or state legislatures.....or the fed......and surely some are working at the big beefers ?? am i right?

Bud said...

Bman are you considered a hero in your small ohio town ??

ya'know......local boy goes to Harvard and MIT

Bud said...

Bman i bet the girls at your hi-school upset they didn't hitch their wagon to you.................could be livin a luxurious life now........european vacations galore


instead they married the hi-school quaterback...........who's an unemployed carpenter now

Bunkerman said...

of course ... many of the rich & powerful were there when I was there: Ben, John Roberts, etc.

I was a rugby playing, beer drinking, scientist type. had no contact with them.

not a preppy.

Bunkerman said...

HS was 40 years ago. Some remember me, such as the HS teachers.

Bunkerman said...

some classmates remember me, too.

I was not exactly the social butterfly: spent my spare time doing very advanced math, science indepenent study; sports like wrestling, track.

Spin-em said...

internet chatter evincing gurned faces... feeling like sucker whigs while some do Irish jig....

mfl59 said...

go ahead Sal...call Bunkerman a fag for wrestling...go ahead son...

Bunkerman said...

I was a bit dumb in HS by not taking up wrestling sooner; I was a much better wrestler than basketball player.

Bud said...

relax ace

the Bman has proved his masculine credentials to me..........he owns enough artilerry to support a militia..............you and frosty on the other hand......ambiguous at best

actually nuthin ambiguous about bob...........he a f'ng queer



PS......still wanna be friends???

mfl59 said...

Bud does jim like to "fire his gun" in your face sir?

"sorry Mrs. B...."

Spin-em said...

DESERT TODDLER CARE

1 wake your 10 year old before the falcon flies and make him shave his lihyah(beard)before breakfast

Bud said...

ace.............you really wanna go there ??? are you sure ??


cuz i'm a nasty motherF'ker...............and i'll accomodate you...............so be careful