Friday, November 2, 2007

Beefer Madness

As a victim of irreversible senescence* I remember seeing that old movie, "Reefer Madness", from high school that was used to scare us from using marijuana. We had heard about it and its laughable claims, so enjoyed it immensely. The movie was sort of pointless for me, living in an isolated small town in Ohio. I never smelled it until my first day as a freshman at Harvard when the redolence** of an adjacent dorm room caused me to ask a NYC kid what it was.

Yesterday was another recurrence of beefer madness. Any recent beefer buys of big banks were dumped into the street as one analyst suggested the C dividend, though well-covered by earnings, might be cut. Panic selling. XOM was dumped citing production declines. Uh ... Boone has been saying for a long time that finding more oil was hard. Anyone paying attention would know that a "B" rated security has a 30-50% likelihood to default over its lifetime, yet reports of possible risk to junk rated retailers is "news". Sigh. And any CDO already includes such cumulative default risks in its ratings.

Even though beefers are at four year lows in net long positions, they dumped stocks mindlessly and shorted with abandon to protect their YTD numbers. Signs of the beefer: huge ETF trading, outsized moves by the Russell and S&P midcaps, huge drops in recent gainers.

There was a bit of news. WSJ reports the head of BS is a pothead and uses illegal Cuban cigars, hence supports the tyrant Castro. Today's WSJ reports Merrill Lynch used hedge funds to hide losses. SEC investigations for both. No surprises.

Recent economic data is either good [GDP, inflation] or OK [ISM mfg].

Today's employment numbers are important. One reason the Fed moved to neutral was the revision of that negative jobs number. Let's see if they were right or got faked out again.

I have large longs in BAC, WB and C now. I might add more. I'll buy more JPM on any decline. I think the dividends are safe and the mortgage and CDO turmoil will eventually lead to more profitable business for these institutions. I still think I'll make over 30% on these over a year.

Words of the Day:
*senescence [$10] - noun from the intransitive verb, "senesce", meaning "to grow old". the adjective is "senescent". Here's another sentence using that word - [referring to concepts of the decline of mankind applied to the Dark Ages] "... and that man's weakened mind ... is an infallible sign of the senescence of the species ..." {"Social Change and History", by Robert Nisbet, p 101}

**redolence [$10] - a noun from the adjective, "redolent" meaning (1) having or emitting fragrance: aromatic; (2) suggestive : reminiscent

19 comments:

mern said...

oh man. to see what is going down in philly just look at andy reids kids. that is a microcasm of exactly this dying blue collar town is going through.

heroin use is spiraling out of control, and has been for yrs.

i know spin disagrees with me, but, from my perch (looking at my friends who remained close to home) it seems to the rule not the exception.

beautiful town that is starting to waste away from heroin/oxycotins. and the big winner is al queda.

villanova is a rich upper class area. im quite sure the reids r not even close to the only heroin addicts.

and i highley doubt he smuggled 89 pills into jail in his butt. he probably swallowed 10 to 15 condoms with pills and barfed them up after than anal cavaity search. he has 1 and 1/2 feet in the grave.

andy reid shud resign today, and concentrate on his fam. that is what any gud mormon father wud do, right?

geesh

Spin-em said...

I,ve changed my mind mern....

Bunkerman said...

Good jobs numbers +166K. Sayonnara recession-mongers.

Spin-em said...

dickball market rolls on......its great today..noooooo..the world is ending tomorrow.....wait..its great....ping pong indeed(first time indeed user)

Bunkerman said...

bot some more JPM

Frosty said...

Bunerkman...where is the fed rant...I can feel your about to go off...as we discussed, the .25X.25 and a puase a huge mistake...who wants to give up a huge year to defend liars and cheaters?

mern, nice to see ya'...you must have finished all those tps detailing the crime of the century...keep up the good work.

Bunkerman said...

Sheesh Ms. Market sure hates my stocks.

Bunkerman said...

I need some data to think they are wrong before I can honestly rant. The latest economic data are better than I expected.

I'm not a whiner to rant without real reasons just because I'm losing lots of money :-((

Bunkerman said...

I'd guess casual dining is getting killed since it costs so much to drive to those places.

Frosty said...

CROX...little plastic shoes darkside 50.22...some of this stuff will never come back...shoes with wheels the templet.

mfl59 said...

I know many say the weakness in the US dollar doesnt matter, but sheesh....the candian dollar keeps climbing and climbing.....imagine how much it costs now for some fun in montreal...

Frosty said...

MLF59...a bill miller like value man...no way he pays $2 US for a lap dance...still less than a gallon of milk...please :)

Bunkerman said...

gold well over $800 now.

Hmmm I guess gold to run to all time highs, oil to $100. I'd expect some heavy resistance at both.

Not selling any gold now.

Frosty said...

Bunkerman...good point, mr hunt still can party like a rock star in north of the border, gold bars in hand.

Bunkerman said...

yes, at least I own more gold than bank stocks hehehe :-)

Bunkerman said...

Real sellers in the big fins - I wonder if growth & income fund managers are sacred of those dividends? Seems dumb to me, but ...

Everything today looks like ping pong.

Martini time coming. Plus circus dogs party !

Frosty said...

Have a good weekend Bunkerman...next week should be berry interesting...make sure an update us on GOLD MIST ETA :)

Spin-em said...

that last half hour I smelled the redolence of telic selling in the banks!!!

Enjoy your weekends boys....Chill up the ROCKS!!!

Bunkerman said...

good one, spin. Maybe I'll be able to remember the definition of "telic" now.

Telic - adj. - tending toward a goal, purposeful.