Thursday, November 22, 2007

A Day of Thanksgiving

I have much to be thankful for on this Thanksgiving Day: family, friends, felicity of the past and present, and old and new, and good fortune. I spent some time this morning thinking about the past year and what I have to be thankful for.

And I again read the "Review & Outlook" of the Wall Street Journal that has published the same pair of columns on the day before Thanksgiving annually since 1961. These superb expressions of some of the deep meaning behind Thanksgiving Day help one put this day into a larger context. The title of the first is "The Desolate Wilderness"; the title of the second is "And the Fair Land." I highly recommend them. I began reading them in 1981 when my partner first showed them to me. And I have read them almost every year since - every word again and again.

No comments: