Tuesday, December 15, 2009

From Where Can Inflation Come ?

Many doomsayers point to the Fed's large balance sheet and screech, Inflation's A'comin !

Yup, I'm imitating Huck Finn a bit there with the country dialect. I think that's wrong for several reasons. Strict focus on the supply of money ignores the demand for money. What is the correct absolute level of the monetary base now ? That depends on the demand for money in the economy and its velocity. Behavior has changed, mooting much historical data now. Many, many people will certainly hold more cash now that they did in the past. The new level of the monetary base must accommodate that demand for cash or cause stagnation for no purpose.

Inflation is caused by too much money chasing too few goods. Demand and supply both matter. If money is demanded and hoarded simply for safety, then, ipso facto, such money is not used to demand goods or services. Whether the current Fed policy will cause future inflation is not now determined. Simply put, it depends on future actions.

BUT what about supply ? Two major decisions loom that will curtail new growth in the supply for goods and services. Those are ObamaCare and Copenhagen. Both can be major barriers to increasing the supply of goods and services in the US and worldwide. If implemented in a strong manner, long term inflation pressure is certain worldwide. Stagnation could occur alternatively, but I think that governments worldwide will not choose that. They will print more and more money to create a fasçade of prosperity. That would produce worldwide inflation.

What to do ?

Keep some long term money in TIPs and gold (metal, ETFs and mine stocks). Now I keep 12.5% of Krypto Fund in TIPs and 5% in gold. I'll increase those positions in Krypto Fund on dips IF both ObamaCare and Copenhagen move forward. I'll rest easier if they collapse.

Historically, real estate has performed very well in inflation, too. Now I keep 15% of Krypto Fund in real estate, but the share is effectively about 25% due to internal leverage in the funds I must use. I added to those positions a lot when REIT prices were very low. Now I'm shifting some money from the more leveraged REITs [via the Vanguard ETF - "VNQ"] to the real estate fund at TIAA which has less leverage. It invests directly in major buildings and seems rather uncorrelated to REIT stock prices. As they've rallied, the TIAA-RE fund has fallen. I made a shift to "sell high, buy low". I figure the stock market is forecasting higher prices for commercial real estate in the future, hence the higher REIT stock prices. But the TIAA-RE fund is priced off current market values of buildings. So I can sell real estate at higher anticipated prices through selling the REIT ETF and buy actual RE at current low prices, To me, it's an arbitrage - free money - if one has the flexibility to make the trade. I did this trade in a big way in Krypto Fund late last week.

I write this just to say what I am doing and show how I think. I'm not sure if the TIAA real estate fund is open to the public. Mrs. B was a scientist, so put a lot of retirement money into TIAA-CREF retirement funds. That's how we can invest in TIAA-RE fund. Another thing. You cannot withdraw money from TIAA-RE fund for re-allocations, only for true retirement income. That means I keep the money in it at a core level only.

Word of the Day

"Trammel" - noun and verb [$10]; from the card file
Trammel means (noun) a net for catching birds; 2. an adjustable pothook for a fireplace crane; 3. a shackle used for making a horse amble; 4. something impeding activity, progress or freedom: restraint (usually in the plural); (verb) to catch or hold in or as if in a net; 2. to prevent or impede the free play of.
Sentence: ObamaCare and Copenhagen will substantially trammel the US and world economies. By reducing the capability to produce more and more goods and services, both will be a force to increase inflation in both the US and the world.

40 comments:

Spin-em said...

Bunk..back in 2003..I bought my bro gold coins for xmas...gold was hated..so..what would you consider the 2003 gold coin in 2009? lol

Bunkerman said...

to me, gold is gold, whatever the date (unless a truly old collectible coin).

Some people like to collect all the dates & might pay slightly more for the 2003.

Good move, spin. I hope you bought a bunch for yourself, too.

;)

Frosty said...

"Mrs. B was a scientist"...why do I find that so darn sexy...sorry Bunk, handshake...Mrs B is the best.

Spin-em said...

lab coat,Bunsen burners .....handshake

Frosty said...

stagflation...I mean stagerleeee...RIP mern, well played sir...jet skis $1.98lb.

mfl59 said...

Santelli thinks you are full of crap Bunkerman...he'd ask you if you live in the real world...

Bunkerman said...

hmm ... an ad hominem attack .. I guess he can't find any facts to disagree with me.

Spin-em said...

wonder if mern would have a beer with me when I go down there in a couple??

mfl59 said...

No I think he would ask you if prices have gone up in the things we need....similar to Bud's argument a few weeks back...

Bud said...

good morning Bman !!!!!


all i want for xmas is a strong dollar

Bud said...

speakin of ad hominem attacks


dollar doomsdayers ......screechers .........Bman clearly talkin about me


take a look at a dollar chart Bman...........a dead cat bounce doesn't get me excited



dollar tankarooooooooo

Bud said...

scientist sexy???


what af'ng lowlife dirtbag scum sucking douchebag frosty is..............my apologies Bman



PS.........still think i have you on ignore ???

Bud said...

you want some bowl picks ace???...............well u ain't gettin any

unless you apologize about the comments you made about the Insight bowl.....cyclones - gophers.............i can't wait


go GOLDEN KNIGHTS go

Bud said...

very interesting comments on the real estate purchases


but i don't understand ? you are saying Reit etf's went up on 'anticipation' only...............and the Cref fund actually owns the buildings...........and they are still goin lower ??


i manage a couple family Cref accounts so i can do that trade

Bunkerman said...

I'm saying - I thought I said - the stock market values the REITs on anticipation but the TIAA RE account is based on actual current values.

My arbitrage was to sell REITs in normal IRA, buy TIAA in Mrs. B retirement fund at TIAA-CREF.

I did an offseting trade in stock index funds in both accounts to get the cash.

I've watched them a couple years and noticed the time lags.

Bunkerman said...

No, I think the TIAA-RE is about close to bottom, or at it.

Bunkerman said...

no, Bud, I was not referring to you in the dollar posts.

Bunkerman said...

If I had, I would probably given you a nickname ... maybe Tiger

;)))

mfl59 said...

All I said whas Hayden Fox is a crafty coach, especially in the postseason...

Add in Dauber's schemes on the defensive side of the ball and I think Iowa State is in trouble

Frosty said...

Sal...may I suggest a Smith & Wesson 5 Round 38 Special...a lil guy like u could handle the recoil, I would hope...easy to conceal in your man bag...sorry "european carryall"

Frosty said...

by the way Bunky...Mrs Frost was a librarian...I like your style indeed sir...Bud please take you homocentric jealous rage elsewhere...thx in advance.

Frosty said...

darn it all...slipped my mind...SORRY SAL...don't want to scare you off until Ace get's his fade picks.

Bud said...

listen frosty

i don't need to know smithandwesson lady's special....................i got a f'ng Bazooka............and i'm gonna jam it up your ass if you keep yappin.............oh wait.............you prolly enjoy that............ya'know............since your a fag and all




PS...............still think i have you on ignore ???????

mfl59 said...

Feb 2010 in real jeopardy.....it appears ace may be needed to guide the Minutemen in the county tournament again...I did lead them to a 14th place finish last year...I mean that is getting it done...

Frosty said...

"Bazooka"...LMAOOO well played sir.

mfl59 said...

Bud are you a fan of Tiger Woods?

Bud said...

what is that ace ?? wrestling ???


sweaty boys in underwears grabbbing and holding each other..................what a bunch of FAGS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bud said...

i may be the only person in america whose opinion of Tiger has not changed


i always thought he was a great golfer and a jerk........the way he treated reporters, the way he treated his competitors, never signs autographs. if you wrote an article criticizing him.....he would shun the writer.......Tiger had very very very thin skin when it came to critism

what he did to fuzzy zoeller in 97, fuzzy made an innocent joke. and Tiger could have easily squelched by saying 'it's funny'. but he didn't and the media destroyed fuzzy


i'm glad to see the phony facade Tiger created destroyed


hey he's a great golfer and that's fine..........but i don't ever wanna hear jim nantz or dan hicks tell me what a great guy he is

Spin-em said...

Liz ya know about stocks...Tiger may never golf again...pfftttt...leave the psychiatry to Bob Newhart and Dr Phil
Tigers a pussy hiding under his bed..take ur medicine son....golf,heckled,cry a lil...whitey luvs that... and it'll allll be over

'save the marriage"..yeah right..lol

Bud said...

No...........i am not a Tiger fan..........never have been......never will


it's funny.............my brother worships hime............the day after Tgiving .......he was defending him like crazy over the 'innocent' accident


" he prolly was goin to get milk for his kids ....it was dark..........hit a tree.....what's the big deal?"


lmaooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

mfl59 said...

"" he prolly was goin to get milk for his kids ....it was dark..........hit a tree....."


LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

mfl59 said...

Tiger is a big pussy...totally agree...

sorry Mrs. B for the language...

"works out a lot...big and strong"

pftttttt.....

Bunkerman said...

a librarian, eh frosty ... the "book of the week" might make you look erudite.

;)

Bunkerman said...

personlly, I like to carry the 5 round S&W model 642 hammerless, loaded with Nyclad lead hollowpoints.

No complications - just pull the trigger.

IF I need something flatter, I go for the .32 Walther PPK.

I can hit the target, so don't need a big scary gun.

Bud said...

i don't know what that means Bman..............but sounds good


anyway.......by the time you come back from xmas..........i will no loger be a virgin...........goin to the range this weekend...............i am f'ng excited!!!!!!

Bud said...

" from my cold dead hands..............

Spin-em said...

dont start with ur Arod steroid bs bitch.....who gives a crap...Youd inject Big Papi so he culd hit 60 HR's in a heartbeat....ya lost.. shutup til Spring....then run your mouth all ya want

mfl59 said...

after shooting it might be difficult to retire that other "virginity"

Frosty said...

LMAOOO...I doubt that Bunk...opposites do attract...I have nonono issue with boytoy status.

Frosty said...

Sal, you have your Macco Bowl tickets yet sir...oh that's right, you prolly like the boyz in the magic underwear...never mind.