Friday, January 4, 2008

The New Year

This is a two part blog: the New Year for me personally and for Ms. Market.

First, one of my New Year's resolutions is to get back onto the exercise program - a core part of my weight reduction effort.

I have been successful ... so far. I like a basket approach to exercise - I have many enjoyable types of exercise and vary my choice daily to avoid over training any particular muscle group and give those tendons a break. When you are older, that's important.

Here is what I do: elliptical machine "running", rowing machine, weights (heavy/upper body/lower body/power), boxing, knife fighting.

For example, boxing requires lots of jabs. Since I'm right handed, that means lots of left jabs. Knife fighting is the reverse, requiring lots of right hand thrusts. So opposite arms are heavily trained. Another example: Heavy weights means deadlifts. "Power" is force x velocity. That means power cleans, which really work the whole body vigorously with speed and force. Being over 50, I lift weights for about 30 minutes in a session after some moderate loosening exercises. That is enough and prevents injuries. And obviously, the elliptical machine is different than the rowing machine. So I vary the exercises both to prevent injuries and boredom.

Now Ms. Market.

I looked at some weekly charts. No doubt, they stink. The major averages are in consolidation patterns with a bearish slant. If one uses Elliott wave, the possibility of an intermediate bearish wave down clearly exists.

The Fed is not doing its job and is still fighting the last war, viz. inflation. The risk of negative downward momentum is clearly building. The Fed really needs to get interest rates down to the low end of the neutral range soon. That means under 4%, preferably to about 3.5%.

I still think there will be no recession and the US will have slow growth for 2008, accelerating into the end of the year into 2009.

Some of my large positions in energy and miners attained LT gains on parts of them today and more will over early January, so I will be trimming them to levels I can hold "forever". Since I have a bit of margin, I do need to take some sugar in those winners. Since XLE is at all time highs, now is a good time. I also took partial gain in AAPL again. I was waiting for 2008 so the taxes would go into this year.

My recent adds suck. But I bought them for a year and am managing them. I expect to buy some GNK and DSX. Those are dry bulk shippers and have pulled back a lot. They fit into my transports play and "no global recession" theory. I added some more YRCW yesterday. That's a perfect example of my "buck fever" error in jumping into an idea too fast. Oh well.

PS: Fed gets an F. Jobs up only 18,000, unemployment up to 5%.

23 comments:

mfl59 said...

sir, if I may ask, when was the last time you were in a knife fight?

re your transports/no global recession theme....what type of downside would you expect in things like shippers/rails if a recession does ensue?

Bunkerman said...

lol it's just practice. I've never been in a true knife fight with real knives. I took several training classes from a guy who taught the Army about 4 and 5 years ago. I was in several "fights" with rubber knives edged with lipstick - the fights were bare shirtsed, so seeing that red line on one was quite real. And the adrenaline flow was huge.

So I know the basics and some commando style moves.

Bunkerman said...

they could go a good bit lower if a global recession happens.

Bunkerman said...

btw, I saw two homes move in the last couple weeks. One in Ohio that was on sale for 2 years, another in my neighborhod on sale jsut a few months.

So there are buyers. These were mid-to-high priced.

mern said...

lol, i was thinking the same thing, on knife fighting.

was gonna post this pre data but i slept in. i was definitely leaning on a weak # for 1 reason, that is what the fed needs to lower rates.

so imagine that, the feds wish is BLS mandate.

to quote one undecided in NH "the price for everything is going up"

Huckabee, r u friggin kidding me? he doesnt believe in evolution so his iq is below 100. that hasnt worked so well the past 7 yrs

Bunkerman said...

I don't care for Huckabee at all. I heard in in Ohio and he was deceptive. I think he's a knave.

Bunkerman said...

I sent the FOMC a rant, giving them an F.

mern said...

i think your rant shud go to elmer, this is all his fault!

ben doesnt have a chance

mern said...

a bapist minister being deceptive, REALLY??!!??!

since im not working maybe i shud try for the inde ticket. here is my platform.

pro death (pro war, pro abortion, the world is overpopulated).

fiscally conserative (welfare wud get cut drastically. home bailouts, NOPE!, etc)

socially liberal. legalize it, legalize all of it, tax the shit out of it, and handle it has a health issue not a crime issue.

that would thin out the jails so the murderers, rapists, white collared crooks and celebs have a real jails.

middle east, time to make glass, has been for some time.

MERN in 08?

;-)

mern said...

cramer and kass say a recession is guarateed. lol

Bunkerman said...

looks like I am being punished for not taking those ST losses in december. I worried that the trading gods might do that to me. Sigh...

Bunkerman said...

The Fed needs to cut fast to avoid corporate spending plans being slashed too much. They really need to move now, not gradually over a few months.

mern said...

6 month yielding more than a 3 yr. partial inversion

Bunkerman said...

The Fed sent me a reply, not "completely" a form letter.

"Dear Mr. [Bunkerman]:

Thank you for your most recent correspondence in which you expressed your concern about monetary policy and
unemployment statistics. You also suggested that the current level of interest rates should be reduced. We appreciate
your taking the time to share your thoughts with us and want to assure you that the concerns you have expressed are
not simply ignored. "


[it goes into form letter mode after this.]

Sigh ... and I was doubted last summer when I said they spent too much time in Nantucket.

Bunkerman said...

What an ugly day. Thanks Ben & Co., teh gang that can't shoot straight.

Looking quite delusional - ivory tower fools.

Frosty said...

Ben moved from c+ after we talked last meeting to a D? is that right? now he has moved to an F, at last...now the market will deem him a string pusher, so futher talk about him is a waste of blog space...now he can try and sucker punch the bear, after the ppt team beat his brains out today, but he has already fumbled on forth and one at the goal line as we discussed.

He let the rich mans panic of 07' turn into the CRUSHING OF THE COMMON MAN 08'.

Frosty said...

The only smart thing to do is bet huge this weekend on the hawks and gmen in the first round of the play offs :)

Bunkerman said...

You might be right, frosty. None of this need have happened if the Fed had done the right thing commencing in August.

All this "cleverness" and dallying has cost them six months.

A Harvard man screws the common man. How embarrassing!

mfl59 said...

Harvard men been screwing the common man for over 200 years...hahaha

mern said...

lol

Bunkerman said...

lol closer to 400 years, perhaps in more ways than the one I was thinking of ;-))

Frosty said...

Bunkerman...if you check in the comments before monday, perhaps we can discuss how to best handle a bear market form both an investing and trading perspective...not that you would be declaring a bear market, but to discuss if and the how's to deal would be an interesting exercise...keeping those skills sharp is just in case.

Bunkerman said...

I'll think about it, frosty.