Friday, July 27, 2007

Profit Protection Panic

That was yesterday. Beefers fearing erasure of their year's returns - and their paychecks - dumping almost everything. They had played heavily in the energies, so dumped those. And the Russell is a favorite sandbox. Hence it's smashing. There was no real news. Just a profit protection panic. There are unpredictable and this is the third one deemed due to "subprime" in the last six months. Yet is there any sign that the real economy - the non-speculative one - has changed? No.

The debt markets of the real economy is dominated by qualified home mortgages that FNMA or Freddie Mac can buy and in the corporate sector by investment grade debt. Derivatives have turned the non-investment grade markets into beefer playgrounds, so with no defaults and no defaults in sight, they can push it around with impunity. The major markets are too large for them to move and are dominated by real buyers - big buyers.

I bought a big position in some big cap financial yesterday and Wednesday: BAC, C, JPM, and MS with the BAC position almost half of the money I invested. These are long term positions that I think will give me the 30%/year return I endeavor to achieve in the Alpha Fund. I plan to double this position over the next few months. At some point I'll flip that long S&P futures position as I now have stocks replacing most of it.

I'm going to analyze the Krypto Fund and if I sell some bonds to buy stocks, I'll post a "PS". This decision is mostly just a mathematical exercise of reallocation, but I admit I add a little of my outlook to the mix through the portfolio percentages.

PS: I do need to sell some bonds and buy some stocks. I might do that today or Monday, depending on the action.

PPS: I wrote on March 13, 2007 about how the subprime loan problems could influence other markets beyond residential mortgages, viz. through the CDO/CLO/CBO markets. That appears to be what is causing this "credit crunch" in the corporate markets - a crunch without real corporate defaults or problems. The "brains" on the street put some subprime garbage in those CDO/CLO/CLO trusts and hence the subordinated classes of some of those got hurt. That scared the beefer holders and so they've been dumping. And toss in the ease at which they can short derivatives connected to those securities, you can get a panic without reality. Without buyers for subordinated classes of CDO/CLO/CBO debt, those become impossible to create and since that's been a place for high yield debt - especially the debt with crappy terms - that debt is now unmarketable. High yield debt needs realistic terms that attract real buyers.

Re-reading my old post, I wish I had followed this closely as that fear I expressed then came true months later. Maybe I could have seen this in July and made a good trade. BUT for long term investors notice that stocks are still way over the levels of March - S&P was at 1370 then, now it's at 1470. So being scared out then was the wrong decision - a loser. That's why I wait for reality to make decisions for long term investing. These beefer panics are unpredictable and have no sustained meaning for the real economy

P^3S: Good GDP and inflation news this morning. That confirms my outlook for the economic trajectory. I'm definitely a long term big buyer for Krypto Fund either at today's or Monday's close.

P^4S: I sent the orders in to sell bonds and buy US, Europe, Pacific and Real Estate index funds. RE had really gotten smashed. My timing might not be perfect or even good, but I figure that in a year this move will show a big gain. I get the closing prices as these are index mutual funds. I figure real buyers are standing back while the beefers play, so am hoping for a lower close.

59 comments:

Bud said...

No real news? Of course there was. Stock prices have been going down for a few days. That is the most significant news. Nuthin drives holders of stocks more crazy than watching prices fall. I 100% agree on 'profit protection'.
As far as the 'real' versus 'speculative' economy. That works both ways. When the market was making record highs....weren't speculators driving it higher? I have no idea what's going on with regards to subprimes, credits..etc. (not smart enough). I watch price and volume. And the charts of many many stocks are broken now.

Spin-em said...

wonder if mern would be breaking out the ol cramerism...In bear markets..bears cover on fridays
(ok bear week..lol)

Bunkerman said...

Part of the problem with relying exclusively on charts is that charts always look great at highs and crummy at lows. So one misses the really good buys at lows. I think recently someone said the charts looked great a couple weeks ago. Not a good buy signal, that time.

Bunkerman said...

I'm sure the charts looked horrible in mid-March, which was a god buy point - still.

Spin-em said...

Bunkerman told me to buy a chart book when I posted my SPY double top post..lol..sniff,sniff

Bud said...

No doubt about that B'man. Good buys at lows ( and shorts at tops) charts don't predict. If the market rallies to highs from here the charts don't show it.

Spin-em said...

wouldnt want to see the Q's close lower than 48.48(lowest close in last 15 days)

Bud said...

Lmaooo ....'buy a chart book.' He once told me to buy Graham and somebody. Rofl.

Bud said...

All we need now is stagflation and all of mern's predictions ( wishes) will come true. Sure hope his firm is well capitalized....would not want it to go out of business. He'll have to restart his trading career.

Bud said...

I did buy GS yesterday. I'm down in the position. Gonna prolly buy more today.

Caution: Extremely dangerous trade.

maverick said...

I am still on mern's team ringing the inflation bell. It is picking up steam.

Spin-em said...

this whole mess started when he stopped posting new vocabulary words..my micro latifundium's grass needs cutting by the way...lol

mfl59 said...

I do think charts can help guide one to buy at lows as well...I think most people only buy when a stock makes a new high and consider that to be a good chart....but looking for things like double bottoms, higher lows, trendline breaks, or high volume bottoms with a hammer, can prove to be much more effective than buying just because a stock makes a new high....in March the SPX formed a low, tested that low, and made a higher low....forming a pretty double bottom...a good signal to get long...of course nothing is for sure...so buys there with good risk control would have gotten you in the mkt at the appropriate time...

Bunkerman said...

I haven't found any new $100 or $1000 words lately. I found a couple $10 words.

Bunkerman said...

good point, mfl re the March low. But the pattern was similar in June. That looked great, but didn't work out. This PPP built momentum and killed that fine chart buy.

No pattern is perfect as external events can erase it.

Bunkerman said...

I suspect the S&P 200 DMA will be tested. Beefers will try to run stops there.

Beefers must have huge postions in subordinated classes of those CDO/CLO/CBO trusts. And they are not marketable now.

Bunkerman said...

I wonder if this AM selling is Euro-beefers getting liquidated?

Bunkerman said...

true re risk control, mfl. A June buy on the chart would have sold at 1510-30

Bunkerman said...

I doubt if real buyers will move on a Friday. Maybe short covering.

But the GDP number might be a factor. I think good is good for it.

mfl59 said...

all this fed rate cut talk....boy if that happens, put it all in gold and silver coins...greenspan the biggest disaster ever...that's why he worked in the public sector his whole life...he couldnt get a job in the private sector...

mfl59 said...

beefers really trying to scare folks by pushing down the spoos premkt...such a thin mkt one seller can move em 3 or 4 handles at a time...

Spin-em said...

meanwhile..Frosty....not a care in the world..busy jumpin the shark at Pinecomb Lake and Inn...enjoy Fonz..I mean Frost...aaaaaye

Bunkerman said...

I think the Fed cuts rates either in the August meeting or the one after that. With core inflation going down month after month and wiht the market rates under the Fed Funds, they really have no reason to keep the inflation bias on.

I think they hinted at that recently with the increased focus on the hosing sector. And since Fed policy can take months to show up, a cut to 5% or 4.75% makes a lot of sense.

Bunkerman said...

That Q2 PCE core inflation of 1.4% puts a stake into the heart of the inflation bias. That's in the lower half of the Fed's range. So they can cut a little and claim victory.

Bunkerman said...

I bought some more gold, enough to lock in the price my physical buys planned for the fall. I might buy more, but that would be a trade.

Bunkerman said...

With inflation at this point I can't see any justification for the Fed keeping the overnight rate artificially high. They need to bring it in line with market short term rates like the T-bill rate.

Bunkerman said...

I made the Krypto Fund buys, selling bonds. Hoping for a llow close today - I don't think real buyers will step up. I get the closing prices on the index funds.

Bunkerman said...

I suppose the reason the terms on LBO loans got so silly was that the underwriters were tossing the loans into CLOs, so they didn't care. Another lesson re-learned.

Spin-em said...

48.48 the battleground in the Q's....15 day lowest close

Spin-em said...

Judge gave Mike Vick a choice...6 years in the slammer or 2 years with the Jets....



.....he took the slammer

Spin-em said...

ok lets see if 48.48 is the ceiling now

Bunkerman said...

I wonder how Frosty likes his trout? Fried in beer batter? ;-)

Bunkerman said...

It feels odd for me to be rooting foe a smackdown at the close.

lolol a bear for a day!

Bud said...

Spin you really are a funny guy. If i was a fan of the nygiants.....i'd keep my mouth shut.

Bud said...

Roflmao.....'real buyers'. Are they still in the broker stocks they bought all spring?

Bud said...

Mfl ...surely you don't believe the nonsense about 'beefers' tryin to 'scare folks' by driving the spoos down. That's a load of rubbish. Only someone like B beleves in that crap. And maybe you too.

Bud said...

Lmaooo....mfl bashin mr G. 'Biggest disaster ever?' You been listening to mern too much. The chairman of the Fed has way way less power over our economy than you think.

Bud said...

I freely admit I'm not a smart guy...actually pretty stupid. But sometimes when i read this blog.....I feel I'm not such an idiot after all. That's ok. Stick with me kids. I'll educate you guys.


PS. I'm definitely smarter than Frsoty the drunk.

Bunkerman said...

Oh Bud. Those were beefers trying to get a fee for Q2. They puked that stock up this week or last.

Spin-em said...

last SuperBowl for the Jets?..was with..Joe..Willy..Namath...and coach... Weeb... Eubank(Cosell)

rofl

Bunkerman said...

C'mon bears - hit that tape!!!!

Bud said...

Lmaooo.....'tryin to get a fee'. Hmmm. That is some logic. Ok. I'll play along. But aren't they trying to 'get a fee' every Q of every year? So then it's built in to the market as a norm. What so different about this Q?
Bunkerman you must have enjoyed reading spy v spy in MAD as a kid. You remind of those 2 freaks.

PS. MAD my favorite mag when i was a young. When i was even younger i loved reading Tin-tin.

Bud said...

Spin were you still in diapers last time G-women won it all? Could you drink legally at least? Lolololol

Bud said...

The market is efficient. Buyers and sellers determine prices. 'scarin folks' 'get a fee' 'beefer raids' etc.....all rubbish. Pay no attention to such theories. Use fundamental/technical analysis....try to determine market sentiment.....and you will succeed as a trader/investor.

Bunkerman said...

Let's close this market. I want a down day and my martini!

Bunkerman said...

Spy vs. Spy was my favorite part of Mad :-))

Oh Bud. The beefers are like a herd of ... beef cows. they all barge in to get the food at though. And when it's gone they all stampede out. Spring was the feeding, this week was the stampede.

The real buyers keep the major trend up. Beefers just cause the minor Elliott waves.

Bunkerman said...

efficient market lolololololololol

roflmao!!!!!!!

Uh Bud, I remember my first day in investment banking - that idea of "efficient market" got unlearned fast. That notion of "efficient market" is crap on a small timescale.

mfl59 said...

if the mkt were efficient Bud you wouldnt have a job

Bud said...

I luv listening to guys like Sam Zell. He has made billions. He must know something. Rofl....cramer and kudlow have been sayin for months...'don't worry about subprimes.' Lmaoooo

Bunkerman said...

time will tell if the "subprime" panic is reality - meaning real economic harm - or just a ... beefer panic.

I think it's just a beefer panic. If half of those funds get liquidated, it will be fine with me. Maybe that's the bright side of this :-))

Bud said...

Ok guys. This was a fun week! Have a good weekend. Your education will continue next week.

W is a loser.
Cheney is evil.
GOP sucks.
Democrats rule.
The trend is your friend.
Hillary is my girl.

PS. And Spin...well.....you need alot of help. I'll see what I can do. Lmaoooooo

Bud said...

Oooops. That sounded like I was bragging or boasting . I had a very good week. But I am still a very very poor simple common working man. I barely live above the poverty line. Bye.

Bunkerman said...

Go Bears!!!

Bunkerman said...

Looks like the public sold mutual funds this morning, per the weak close.

Bunkerman said...

The public might sell more over the weekend. A down Monday open might get me adding to long futures for a trade.

maverick said...

Bud has a job?

Bunkerman said...

Good job Bears! :-)))

Don't Worry, Be Happy!

Peace on Earth ;-)

Spin-em said...

Take care men.....and you too Bud

Bunkerman said...

I think Bud's "job" is trading - if markets were efficient, no one could make money consistenly trading.

So the mere existence of any profitable traders [aka the ecceity of profitable traders ;-) ]proves that market are not efficient on the timescales of virtual traders. ;-)

It's so easy proving Bud wrong. Hehehe ;-)