Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Bits and Trends

Retail sales in China are up 22% in October - I guess that's year over year. Hmmm ... quite interesting. Perhaps China have developed considerable internal domestic demand and doesn't rely as much as one might have thought on exports.

A problem Japan has had for many years is that its economy excessively relies on exports and domestic demand is too low. Demographics partly forces that, but government policies there exacerbate it.

American Express to ask for TARP aid. Huh ? What the heck has that management been doing ? I've never liked the management of American Express. I fear there is a bug under that rock.

I think the Mexico story from yesterday about how they have hedged a very large amount of oil tells us why oil is still weak. Hedging by producer nations that need the money. Hmmm ...

Actions

Yesterday I re-bought some CCJ as the wash sale tax window is long gone. Their earnings were OK and uranium really is the only effective power source that does not produce carbon dioxide. I don't believe that global warming is caused by humans, but enough people do and I'd like to profit from their stupidity. 1/2 position for now.

I also added a bit to DRYS, EXM and GNK. These stocks are ultra risky as the chance does exist the banks won't show some flexibility in loan to value covenants. But in my experience, as long as the companies produce cash flow on the loans, the banks will, and should, forebear. These companies do not have excessive debt and did a good job locking in long term charters with good credits for enough of the fleet to cover the bank debt. Dilution is a risk, as is whether large shareholders are margined on their stock. I do not have positions that are too large in those, and will add a bit me at good prices.

Late yesterday an astute commentor skeptically asked for my 'plan". Overall my plan is to continue to buy some stocks I like at good prices. I like GOOG but cannot buy it until late in the month due to the 30 day wash sale window. I will maintain a reserve, either in the Alpha Fund itself or in the bank account from which I can easily shift $ to it. "Protect yourself at all times."

Why do I care about tax losses ? Since I plan to hold these stocks a long time in the future to get large, long term gains. I don't want to lock up valuable tax losses for years. And I can use those losses this year as I still have very large capital gains to offset - both short term and long term. This save me real money every quarterly estimated tax payment day.

Word of the Day

"Assay" - noun and verb [many usages, this usage is a $100 one from an H. L. Mencken quote]
Assay means (after meanings 1-7) 8. (metallurgy) determination of the amount of metal, especially gold or silver, in an ore, alloy, etc.; 9. a substance undergoing analysis or trial; 10. a detailed report of the findings in assaying a substance; 11. (archaic) examination, trial, attempt, essay.
Sentences:
(A) (from "the Impossible H. L. Mencken", page 207) "For seldom have these eyes encountered a document by an American politician which there was a larger assay of common sense."
(B) The assay of common sense provided by Babblevsion, Blabberg and in general the American press compares unfavorably to the assay of true gold in fool's gold.

35 comments:

Bud said...

democrats playin a very dirty game in minnesota

coleman won...........but they gonna 'give' franken the seat


change indeed

Bud said...

it's going to be very interesting what happens in china.........if we go into a deep and long recession.......i am sure chinese growth will slow to a crawl


and then i expect civil unrest.......which will lead to the communist party clamping down


i think a revolution in china is coming in the next 5 years.........unlike the soviet union and eastern europe.....this one will be very bloody and violent

Bunkerman said...

Demnocrats have a long history of that. R's are usually wimps in fighting them.

mfl59 said...

ex-date for the large GNK skim is tomorrow.....

are you surprised GNK is still paying out that large dividend Bunkerman?

Frosty said...

an astute commentor skeptically asked for my 'plan"....nonono busting bunker balls...thanks big guy.

Bunkerman said...

didn't know about GNK div. Must check that.

mfl59 said...

Hank, a wise man once said the following...."If you believe it, it's not a lie"

Spin-em said...

looooooooooooooool


pssssttt..he's got another...some kind of electronic butcher......if ya want in....very little time

mfl59 said...

lmaoooooooo

Jerry with the puke sell at the bottom....

Frosty said...

Bunky...what is on the schedule for thursday...lil MG action...perhaps some sheep...down to the general store for some checkers.

mfl59 said...

to my earlier point on GNK's dividend, I see DSX has suspended its dividend for the time being...I guess the market thinks GNK will be next....

Bud said...

what are you tryin to say ??? GNK a long.....short .....or you just like to hear yourself talk ?


beat south florida.......who cares ???

big east football......pffffffffffft

mfl59 said...

lmaoooooooooooo atta boy

I guess Rutgers is fine for you when they knock off an upstart Syracuse squad and put $ in your pocket...

I'm not saying its a buy or a sell...I let "jim" make those decisions for me.....

Spin-em said...

sounds like Saas Sarwana woke up on the wrong side of the carpet..

Bud said...

saad sarwana lmaoooooooooooo


i did have to google that...........no idea who that was...........i haven't even been there since 1986


PS.....no wrong side.......we just sittin on our hands waitin to strike when we have an edge.........keep up the good work jim!!

mfl59 said...

lmaoooo sitting on our hands.....

how does he count his skim if he is sitting on his hands?

Spin-em said...

does jim telling you we"re not missing anything make you feel better?

.....well you can take the boy outta Lahore..but you cant take the Lahore outta the boy indeed sir


lol

mfl59 said...

lmaoooo guy on bloomberg just said the following...."We could be entering a recession"

Bunkerman said...

well, frosty, even when here I'm not spending much time watching the market at all. I check in every couple hours.

Tomorrow I think I'll work in the barn.

Just got back from repair shop - had to drop off a "toy".

Bud said...

Bman i goona remind u everyday to watch Shawshank Redemption


actually a good time to see it.......it's about hope......and being down and out but never giving up

Frosty said...

Mrs B might like a nice long ride in the country...lil french speak and who know where it may lead...just sayen.

you gonna make me say it...I need a rally ok...there I said, happy now.

mern said...

"I'm like, OK, God, if there is an open door for me somewhere, this is what I always pray, I'm like, don't let me miss the open door," she said in an interview that aired Monday on Fox News.

"And if there is an open door in '12 or four years later, and if it is something that is going to be good for my family, for my state, for my nation, an opportunity for me, then I'll plow through that door."

then I'll plow through that door."


at least since obama is hard to make fun of, conan, leno, lettermen, stewart and colbert can just roast this bitch until she dies!

she is the joke that just keeps on giving.

her and fat andy have a lot in common. bible thumpin, bloating issues, chats with god, and sheer stupidity!

mern said...

new rule.

if u pray to god u cant run for office!

mern said...

The phrase separation of church and state is generally traced to the letter written by Thomas Jefferson in 1802 to the Danbury Baptists, in which he referred to the First Amendment to the United States Constitution as creating a "wall of separation"

i wonder what tom wud think about this she devil?

Bunkerman said...

I put Shawshank on the netflix queue already.

Bunkerman said...

uh mern, last time I looked the Constitution was written in the summer of 1787 ... and Thomas Jefferson was in Paris at the time.

James Madison wrote most of the Bill of Rights and did not come close to that language.

I guess George Washington would not qualify under the "new rule".

Do you avoid use of US money - it contains some language you might not like.

Skewering hyperbole can be fun.

;-)

But one would think Palin would shut up awhile and think over the campaign with some contemplation.

Spin-em said...

Hope? Let me tell you something, my friend. Hope is a dangerous thing. Hope can drive a man insane. It's got no use on the inside. You'd better get used to that idea.

mern said...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Separation_of_church_and_state

send your compliant to them

;-)

Bud said...

that last spin post

1 of the all time great movie lines


PS......"i have nipples too greg.....can u milk me" that line also up there

Bunkerman said...

This seems like the 1998-2000 bubble in reverse. Insane fear.

Spin-em said...

I find I'm so excited, I can barely sit still or hold a thought in my head. I think it is the excitement only a free man can feel, a free man at the start of a long journey whose conclusion is uncertain. I hope I can make it across the border. I hope to see my friend, and shake his hand. I hope the Pacific is as blue as it has been in my dreams. I hope.

mern said...

u guys loving the tim robbins today!

whats next, bud voting for the left?

mern said...

[Willie has just passed out]
Gin: Look here, get himy outta here and I'll go smooth things over with Chipeska, Tell him it was food poisoning or something.
Marcus: What do you mean, get him outta here?
Gin: Take him to the car.
Marcus: In case you didn't notice I'm a motherfucking dwarf, so unless you got a forklift handy, maybe you should lend a hand hmm?
Gin: That figures. You want all kind of set-asides. Special treatment 'cause your handicapped. You're all the same.
Marcus: Special treatment? I'm 3-foot-fucking-tall you asshole! It's a matter of physics. Draw me a sketch of how I get him to the car, huh?
Gin: Bitch, Bitch, Bitch!
Marcus: Sketch it up, you fucking moron. Fucking Leonardo da Vinci.
Gin: What'd you call me thigh-high?
Marcus: I called you a fucking guinea homo from the 15th-fucking-century, you dickhead!
Gin: I could stick you up my ass, small fry.
Marcus: Yeah? You sure it ain't too sore from last night?
Gin: You got some lip on you midget.
Marcus: yeah? Well these lips were on your wife's pussy last night. Why don't you dust that thing off once in a while? Asshole!


badder santa! maybe the funniest movie, ever!

if u sick and twisted and hate god

Spin-em said...

I liked Tim Robbins back then.. now...he makes me ill..who cares whatcha think Timmaay

Spin-em said...

merny you'll hate god til its you...then you'll believe sir...so everything else is BS...lol