Thursday, October 18, 2007

The Greater Fool Theory

This theory is seen at work in many real asset bubbles. People overpay for an assets, such as a house or a commercial property or even an LBO, which cannot pay its debt service and is cash flow negative, but they expect to sell all or part of the assets at higher prices to a ... greater fool and reap large returns/profits on little equity.

But it's like musical chairs - don't be the last man standing. And eventually someone is left standing - that is a metaphysical certitude.

This morning's WSJ story about investors defaulting on numerous house mortgage loans that they bought to flip shows that the house market had a lot more "investors" that many think. I suspect that statement required on many mortgage loan documents pledging that one would occupy the home as a principal residence had quite a high rate of prevarication. And I suspect that many/most affected mortgage brokers were complicit in these lies.

So now a wave of bankruptcies can be expected as these greater fool theorists get chased by lenders with losses to recover. And then we can expect fraud lawsuits as lenders figure out that they were the object of lies. I wonder if the "greater fools" realize that making false statements on mortgage loan documents is a federal felony crime? I suspect not.

Oh well. Nothing is new under the sun. All this has happened before many, many times. If you have been paying attention to markets and are over 50, you can remember them.

Back to stocks:

Yesterday was hard ping pong by the beefers. Nothing was new and the earnings were good, but the bears hit the morning rip hard, drove prices down to run stops and them the real buyers picked up some cheap stocks. Some beefers are rotating groups frantically to make their numbers for the year. I'll be interested in the XLF short interest when the numbers come out soon.

The charts look OK. Yesterday's S&P reversal was on higher volume, possibly indicating a local bottom. A continuation - consolidation pattern might form. This is a logical place as it's near the old top region. The Nazz looks quite strong with a good uptrend and yesterday's move was a 1-2-3-4-5 upmove. [I'll describe that useful pattern later.] The Nazz 100 is quite strong, too.

Options expiration is Friday which is also the 20th anniversary of the Crash of 1987, so maximal nervousness is to be expected.

Nothing has changed in the bullish economic trajectory.

PS: BAC big miss earnings. Yuck! I knew I'd get punished for that add Monday. Darn. Phooey!

PPS: I didn't practice time diversification as well as I preach it. I had planned to wait until earnings to load the last slug, but got impatient. Bad mistake. But I think this will work out. The dividend is great and over time I'll make good money here. BUT I wish I had a better entry. If we get to frosty's 45, I might buy more.

37 comments:

Bunkerman said...

I'll have to hit the weights this morning to get rid of some of this stress :-(

mfl59 said...

lol Bunkerman I am just busting your chops over the issue of the common man...

go Tribe go!

Spin-em said...

"go Tribe go"????......dont fall for that BS Bunk...his Sox are red

Bunkerman said...

lol, mfl59, but it is a valid point.

Actually Cadillac owners are MUCH more "common man" types than Mercedes/BMW/Lexis

Most seem to be older small business owners who made money over the years. I am probably 15 years younger than the average.

Frosty said...

Bunkerman...hang in there big guy...you have had a great year....for a common man that is.

Frosty said...

now we have to live with the cry baby bulls for a couple of weeks...we need lower rates...those poor liars and cheaters...blah blah blah...enough to make one sick.

Bunkerman said...

I think the Fed probably cuts now, to 4.5%. The infaltion rate is fine and the uptick in initial claims might be enough to tip the scales.

4.5% would be in the range of neutrality, maybe still in the upper range.

mfl59 said...

uhh Spin I bleed Metropolitan orange and Scarlet Knight red sir....

mfl59 said...

Frosty your EXH working on a NR7 sir....

Frosty said...

MLF59...yes it is as is GD....dual train N7...I call that boxcar.

Bunkerman...when do you get that nice new sweat little caddy...need to adjust my market crash timing model :)

maverick said...

lol frostman, caddy gotta be a top.. B'man reap the rewards of the alpha fund, good job sir

mfl59 said...

Im not sure Nobel Prize recipient Al Gore would approve of that purchase, Bunkerman....

Bunkerman said...

they said about maybe three weeks for the caddy, but it's uncertain.

Bunkerman said...

Algore lolol what a fool!

He can kiss my trunk ;-))

Frosty said...

Bunkerman...how about a little contest...guess the color of the new caddy....winner get's a dow 14000 cap....my guess = GOLD MIST.

Bunkerman said...

I got the performance model, even though I drive like an old lady.

Gosh frosty - you guessed right !

I'm gonna do 15000 caps - that's closer to my year end target anyway. 14000 just is not "round" enough.

Spin-em said...

jet black...common man color

Bunkerman said...

"very light linen" interior color.

We always put on sheepskin seat covers anyway as four dogs can be rough on leather.

Bunkerman said...

my trade-in was black. It got dirty pretty fast. So we went with he gold mist

mfl59 said...

Gold mist makes sense...the Hunts certainly approve...

you should have the license plate read "1000 OZ"

Bunkerman said...

I suppose I could send you a WW II helmet stenciled "Dow 14000", frosty ;-)

Bunkerman said...

I have a bunch of WW II helmets for my half-track crew :-))

Spin-em said...

yeah......take me frosty,mfl in the half track...Ill bring the Rock

we can chase Bud..lure him in with a free golf line

Spin-em said...

..............or...maybe not...rofl

Frosty said...

Bunkerman...CFC double bottom? should we give it another shot...the last bear press they had their ears puched off by the fed.

Frosty said...

Bunkerman....taking a little C for a trade...helping the common man as always...long gold mist.

Bunkerman said...

CFC market cap is pretty small now. Tempting.

I wonder how Prince can stay in at C ?

Both look good to me. Options expiration tomorrow.

Bunkerman said...

at least BNI acts better.

Bunkerman said...

GOOG numbers sounds OK. WB tomorrow. BNI Tuesday.

Frosty said...

thanks Bunkerman...let's go tribe.

Spin-em said...

in theory..we want a 7 game series with the sox.....with a ninth inning cut your heart out manny whifffffffff with the bases loaded.......more wings baby..more wings

Spin-em said...

Im now a real buyer.....BAC....where's my dividend????

Spin-em said...

Bunk..get the Spiinners on that gold ride of yours...but leave the fur coat at home...(if ya know what Im sayin)

Frosty said...

Spinny....LMAO...your right go sox, sell more wings...always looking to jam the common man, do you have no shame.

Spin-em said...

Torre out..Im now a Sawwxx fan...me n Ben AFLaaaaack....GO PAPI!!!!!

Bunkerman said...

golly frosty you are so cryptic. fur coat? is spin an animal nut?

Spin-em said...

lol....on Seinfeld..Kramer...with the caddy and the coat......translation...cops thought he was a pimp