Monday, December 17, 2007

Monday Morning Rambles

The snow blower was repaired - the plug was fouled. Sheesh ... if they made those plugs accessible with some directions, I could have fixed that with a wire brush. So I cleared off the driveway fairly well. The new plow person did a nice job, putting down some sand, too. The driveway is 1250 feet long with many twists, turns, rises & dips - good for defense but bad for Mrs. B's car when there is ice. The old plow person is now doing it, too. So I have to resolve that conflict today. More complexity in life ... sigh.

Wheat is over $10. This has nothing to do with inflation, but due to repeated crop problems in the US, Europe and Australia: droughts, ice, etc.

IR to buy Trane. Sigh ... takeovers continue.

Holiday sales are OK ... employment is OK ... no recession.

Let's see if the Fed's new borrowing facility works today. This will be interesting.
Asia markets are down big overnight - I see no real news.

I read quite a bit about C's new boss and I like him. The fact he refused a big, fancy office in his last job as embarrassing was quite heartening. So I am considering adding to C today again.

The US presidential race is heating up as voters ... real voters ... are now paying attention. I have decided to support whomever I perceive as the most honest candidate [who is intelligent], regardless of party. As the US government has so many checks and balances, I think this way something good can happen if we finally have an intelligent, honest person in office.

So far, that means Romney, then McCain. I really don't know much about Obama and he is quite inexperienced. But I do have an open mind.

18 comments:

Bud said...

that's interesting Bman......all your claims and proclomations about caring for the 'common man'.....mitt romney ( and every other republican candidate) firmly against taxing 'carried interest' baloney for private equity and hesge fund managrs


i know no one can agree with a candidate on every issue......but enuff about 'the common man'

Bud said...

PS....i like mitt romney alot.....he's really a liberal

just actin like a klansman to get nominated

Bunkerman said...

well, I can't agree on every issue with all, or I'd just not vote. All the candidates disagree with me on one issue or another.

Bunkerman said...

Disagreement on particular issues with all is why I decided to determine my support on a general principle, viz. most honesty with the criteria of acceptable competent intelligence. Uh ... the latter criterion is necessary to eliminate future W's so my error of 2000 will not be repeated. I should have supported McCain then. :-(

Frosty said...

Bunerkman...the plan I recall, sell some fins taking tax losses and buying during q1...wrong, or is this the last chance to buy them at this level?

Bud said...

Bman....why don't you take a closer look at Obama's views?....seems to me you and him agree on quite a few

Bud said...

Sea-canaries sure looked good yday

Frosty said...

Bud...ppfftt, you already tossed those under ten win tickets for both the hawks and gmen.

Bunkerman said...

I have been noodling over that tax selling, frosty, but am thinking its a mistake as after the new year, the fins might pop. Plus I reconciled myself for a much larger position for the LT. So I think I'll just keep them.

Bunkerman said...

I might look at him if he survives Iowa & NH.

Bunkerman said...

so I think I'll keep all the fins. I even want to buy more C ... still watching it.

Bud said...

Sea-pigeons and G-women.......i can't wait for that playoff game......it'll be like an intramural flag football game

mfl59 said...

count me in as captain obvious...but this tape doesnt trade as if this is a bull mkt...what say you bunkerman?

Bunkerman said...

The beefers can make Ms. Market dance any dance they wish ST. I just follow what I see in reality. I still see a bull market until something real happens. The Dow set a new al-time high just two months ago as did the S&P 500. Short interest is very high, as is bearishness.

I still look for a big move up at some unknownable time not too far distant.

Bud said...

beefers causing BAC to make a new low today?....huh............seems to me like large mutual funds ( i.e. real buyers) have been sellin millions of shares last few months cuz of the banks horrid investments

but what do i know...i went to iowa state....not harvard or mit

Frosty said...

Iowa State, no wonder you so bitter.

Bunkerman said...

re BAC this past week, I disagree - I see the beefers who recently covered shorts and who bought on the recent bounce all bailing and re-shorting it. The real buyers sold on the way down from 50 on those high volume days.

Bud said...

Where you go frosty...anchorage community college?