Friday, June 29, 2007

Dirty Jobs

I watched the show, "Dirty Jobs" again. That's a fine show. It brings back memories of many hard jobs I had and have done over the years. Now I do those type of jobs as a hobby. It gets me off my butt and away from the computer monitors. So I like to grease shafts and loosen rusty nuts. ;-) And I like using my big tools ! Especially my giant open end wrenches. My biggest is a 2.5" wrench. It's a couple feet long and weighs about 20 lbs. My barn / garage is full of heavy equipment and tools. I use them on one of my hobbies - restoring my World War II half-track. You need big tools for it. The tracks weigh about 500 lbs each. Fully equipped, the half-track weighs 10 tons. Hehehe, that includes ammo :-)))

I've had it in a couple Memorial Day parades in nearby towns. The people and older veterans really like seeing the old vehicles. We festoon it with American flags and a World War II veteran rides with me.

6 comments:

Bud said...

You are so interested and fascinated with military history.....how come you never followed your family traditions and served? No way I could ever enlist.......I'd rather do hard time than gone to Vietnam or Iraq. But at least I'm not a chicken hawk like the overwhelming majority of republicans. Bush and Cheney are gutless cowards. They ran and hid like pussies rather than go to Vietnam. At least I admit I'm a coward.

Bunkerman said...

Uh Bud, the war in Vietnam was over for all intents when I turned 18 in mid 1972. Much of military service opportunities depend on the timing of the wars. Ancestors who had opportunities to fight a war did. Those who were not of military age, didn't. None made careers of the military, except one stayed in after WW II to be a test pilot. Another WW II vet stayed in the Navy reserves and fought again in Korea.

My ancestors were, and I am, pretty independent. Military careers - regular, not reserves - don't fit such independent characters.

I wanted to join the reserves in the early 1980s under Reagan, but with my job and travel requirements, it was impossible.

I obtained another offer to fight the commies on getting out of college, but didn't take it. My life would have been very different if I had. One's choices really do matter.

I'm sure I would have joined up if 9/11 had happened when I was young enough. I needed an active enemy to motivate me.

Spin-em said...

2200 rounds per minute...yowza...you have the guns Bunkerman?

Bud said...

'active enemy to motivate me'........lmaoooooooooooooo

Bunkerman said...

Not real ones - mine half-track is an M16 which had a quad mount with four .50 cal M2 HB guns. I have replicas that operate with propane - lots of booms.

A friend has a real M2 HB. Great fun to let it rip a belt. Second only to sex. ;-)

Bunkerman said...

Sure. without an active enemy, I'm a peaceful man. Live and let live ... until threatened. Then I'm a tiger.