Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Waiting for Dust to Clear

The billions-trillions in mortgages in fixed income portfolios are being hedged for changes in their duration caused by the up move in US 10 year Treasury rates. This feeds on itself until they are all hedged. A similar move the other way caused those massive spikes down in Treasury rates to under 4% a few years ago. [That's when I refinanced our house at 5.41% for 30 years - since they are giving away cheap money, I took the FNMA maximum :-))) We're never going to prepay that one :-))) ]

Mortgages are priced off prepayment models. When interest rates rise homeowners do not refinance or move as much. So the duration of the mortgage securities increases a lot. If the mortgages are at a discount [many older mortgages are at a discount now]. This causes a DOUBLE hit - their price falls due to BOTH the rise in interest rates AND due to the rising duration. To maintain a constant duration AND hedge the price moves, which is necessary to match liabilities, the mortgage portfolio manager must short some Treasuries with longer maturities than the average life of the mortgages [which are often about a 5 year average life in the common prepayment models]. The housing problems are also probably causing increase duration in mortgages as many homeowners can't move since they can't afford a mortgage on a new house, or won't sell their house at a loss.

That's a long explanation of what's going on. It just takes some time to settle out. I'll try to make a profitable light-side stock futures trade once in awhile.

The real economy is fine & the current disinflation and moderate growth trajectory is extremely bullish long term.

By the way, remember part of my "Time Diversification" post about how hard it can be to buy a pullback when it occurs? It's pretty tough now, I expect. If I had uninvested cash, I'd wait until the Friday CPI and triple-witching number to put a chunk to work. Of course I bought at the all-time high the day before this "correction" began. The future is tough to predict short-term. No regrets. That was the third chunk in my time diversification investment move. Both prior chunks were at much lower prices than even now.

PS: The dollar strength is pushing gold down. Hmmm. strong economy, more global inflation is what I've been hearing. So why is gold going dow? These "explanations" are crap - we are just seeing beefers flaying around, dumping old positions & looking for new ideas. Like my "elephants at a drying water hole" metaphor. Don't get stomped. Wait for a new trend. I'm waiting to buy gold & silver, perhaps before the fall seasonal strength.

PPS: Grrr. The computer with my email & eSignal got a blue screen of death. Twice. Haven't seen that before. And I've changed NOTHING for weeks. So it's got to be some automatic update of some software. Grrr. I hate PCs. Why don't I switch all to Macs? Thinking. How can they get away with treating customers this way? It's spelled, m-o-n-o-p-o-l-y.

P^3S: The initial move that started this interest rate increase was the capitulation of the recession-mongers in bonds [such as Bill Gross]. Once the 5% level was approached, I think the hedging accelerated the move.

P^4S: I think that there are "real" buyers for the 30 year US Treasury bond over 5% and more over 5.25%. In bonds, "real" buyers are the pension funds: state, municipal & corporate funds. They can lock in good yields to match very long liabilities at those levels & will do it. Once they buy & match, they don't sell, hence are very "real" buyers.

40 comments:

Bunkerman said...

Frosty, check my reply to your "automatic" query yesterday. :-)))

Bud said...

Retail numbers pretty strong. Gonna keep driving rates up. Friday CPI is huge.

Bud said...

TLT in full death spiral mode.

Bud said...

Here come the phillies!!! Only 3 games out nl-east lead. Do I owe charlie manuel an apology?

Bunkerman said...

How annoying! I was thinking about Frosty's buy signal & trying a good guy play. S&P was down at teh time, but then I got this computer problem. Sheesh. Bad luck. But I can't do a trade blind.

I suppose I could get the futures real-time from my broker, but it's a little off sometimes - gets slow in fast markets.

mern said...

no bud u dont, manuel is pathetic

Hamels, as spin pointed out while he was in triple a, is the best philly pitching prospect since curt shilling.

if i was trading i be very short here, so load the boat long?

heres to the spurs MVP, david stern and bob horry. did i not say, stern handed them the trophy after they lost game 4 at home to the suns? at least i put some money it. we will never know who is the best this yr becuase Stern decided the series between the two best teams. he loves Timmy. personally i think he loves timmy so much becuase he doesnt have a lot of tats, doesnt get arrested, talks white, acts white. and thats what stern wants black people to act white. david alridge was offended by my opinion and told me im a racist. LOL

gap up feels most fadeable.

and heres why im dont wanna have kids.

Police in northwest Georgia have rescued a boy from a hot car where his mother's companion is accused of tying him up.

Ringgold, Georgia, police say a Cracker Barrel restaurant employee called police after seeing Raymond Minchew take the 6-year-old out of the restaurant and return without him -- then finished eating his meal. Ringgold is about 13 miles southeast of Chattanooga, Tennessee.

Police found the bound boy sitting in the car, crying.

Sergeant John Gass says the child was soaked with sweat and had a rope tied to one of his ankles. Gass says the temperature was in the 80s Saturday in Ringgold.

The 61-year-old Minchew and the boy's mother -- 35-year-old Rachel Gilchrist -- were arrested and charged with cruelty to children and concealing a weapon. There was a handgun in the car.

if i were god for a day. thier punishment wud be, being tied inside thier car, today, at noon, for over an hour. if they live, fine. if they dont, all the better.

Bud said...

Wow TAP. Frosty must have switched beers.

Frosty said...

bunkerman...whew, automatic weapons a must,you had me concerned that your defense was a little weak, should have known better than that and what a fun hobby to boot, dosen't get much better than that.

spinny lmao

mern said...

looking at 5 min on TLT, id say FNM has more inventory to sell

Bud said...

Sounds like your typical white trash redneck cracker barrel customers.

Frosty said...

uh bud, you and spin know I own a brewer in size, but it is not TAP, BUB or any of the other piss water distributors....Frosty drinks and owns only real beer.

Bunkerman said...

Hey Frosty, our local brewer is Ipswich Ale. It's a brown ale, not pasteurized, so you have to keep it cold always. Very good ale in the old English style. You can see the sediment in the bottom of the bottle.

Support Your Local Brewer ;-)

Bunkerman said...

Frosty, shooting a belt on the .50 M2 HB is almost as good as ... you know. ;-)

mern said...

rofl

mern said...

really smart tying the kid up with a gun in the car. i wud have blown their heads off when they came back

;-)

how did the yankees end up in 2nd? abreu on fire

Frosty said...

M2 my old freind...I was an M60 tank commander once upon a time and melted more than my share of barrels back in the day.

Spin-em said...

Frosty's brewer doesn't believe in rushing its product to market...or its stock price....lmao

Frosty said...

no doubt spin.... it is only up 44% utd...someday it will start to perform...lol

Spin-em said...

booyaaah jimmy..lol

mern said...

Paris Hilton said she believes God has given her a second chance to change her life.

Speaking in a June 10 phone call to television journalist Barbra Walters, the celebrity heiress said her jail term for violating her probation in a drunken-driving case has given her new insight.

"I'm not the same person I was," she said. "I used to act dumb. It was an act. I am 26-years-old, and that act is no longer cute. It is not who I am, nor do I want to be that person for the young girls who looked up to me. I know now that I can make a difference, that I have the power to do that. I have been thinking that I want to do different things when I am out of here. I have become much more spiritual. God has given me this new chance."

ROFL, that will last till she has a cocktail and pops an oxy.

so when the spurs win on thursday and tim duncan he wants to thank god, id like to hear lebron james bitch that its all gods fault they lost. refs just love the spurs, unless u thinks bowens attempted rape of lebron wasnt a foul.

worst ratings in some time for the NBA finals. stern sux!

mern said...

The NBA, whose playoff ratings already were off sharply from last year, might produce record-low ratings for an NBA Finals shown in primetime.
Sunday night's Game 2 drew 5.6% of U.S. TV households, leaving ABC with a two-game average of 5.9%. That's down 30% from comparable coverage last year, and virtually even with the 5.8% average through two games in the 2003 New Jersey-San Antonio Finals, which were the lowest-rated Finals since games first were played in prime time decades ago


now i wonder if stern wud be happier with the ratings say if, i dont know, the SUNS were playing the cavs and the scores wud be in the 120's the highlites wud be fantastic, etc. lebron wud be going for 40 and 50 a game. nash wud be pulling 20 assists a game. all of that was taken away by stern, he really stinx

Bunkerman said...

Got back from the bank. I had to dig up some silver & put in an SD box. Had too much buried around here. ;-))

Bud said...

Really Bunkerman? Hope you can get to the bank when armageddon arrives. Didn't you also once call bankers 'thieves and looters'?

Bunkerman said...

Not all, Bud. But I got worried I had too much outside the bank. I still have my emergency gold & silver buried. If I get a business day's notice of Armageddon, I can get the rest ;-)

Most BIG banks ARE thieves. I use a small local bank that has been in business over 100 years. They know me & treat me very well.

In any case, I deposit in one bank, borrow at others & keep stocks separate, too. I don't give them a chance to "offset".

Bud said...

Roflmao...'emergency gold and silver'....not really sure what that means....reminds me of the scene from sporano's when tony was lookin for 40k he buried by the pool.........lolol

Frosty said...

just an fyi...taking 110 bps on that market trade posted yesteday...holding 25% with a stop at the low today and likely done for ops expo week.

mern said...

nice trade frosty!

if armaggendon does come i think katrina mite show us what we shud be loading up on.

gold and silver, maybe but for sure. cigarettes, crack, liquor, water, TP, marijuana, xanax, heroin, NKE's, etc. all those shud do great in the black market. people r not addicted to gold, but they love crack

:-)

Bud said...

Ooops. Guess I shud not have made fun of frosty's 'wed will be up' comment. Apparently even drunks can be right now and then. Lololol

mern said...

bud there is a reason u r poor and frosty is rich. the reason im in the middle of u two, is im idiot, but ive acknowledged and embraced my mediocrodity.

anyone need some extra monitors ive got about 6

doh

Spin-em said...

heck of a call Frostage...grab yourself a Rock..thank you

Bunkerman said...

Nice Frosty. That darn computer failure made me miss. :-((

Oh well. My corn is working out well.

Post WW II, it was liquor, cigarettes, chocolate, nylons, gold, silver, diamonds, etc.

Bunkerman said...

It would have been tough for me anyway, to make a trade today. I just got back from another trip to the bank. Silver sure is bulky & heavy. I wonder what I should plant in those holes now ? ;-)

mern said...

liquor, nylons, etc

lol

mern said...

if u know your chemistry y not make 50 gallons of lsd. then if armaggedon comes u can surround your perimeter with LSD. be much easier to pick off the enemy while they dance and hug trees, no?

just puddle them

Bud said...

I can't remember where i read this....maybe jim rogders....but he said jewelry is a must when armageddon comes. Cuz the invading troops enslave/kill the men and rape the women - and want jewelry to take back home to their women.

Bud said...

And the locals can use jewellry to 'buy' their freedoms.

Bud said...

Uh mern.....pretty sure he doesn't know what lsd is.

Bud said...

Spin...why you kissin frsoty's ass? He just an old lucky drunk. Lmaooooo

mern said...

after south park tonite a new show on comedy central. its a cartoon about Bush. im expecting it to be funny as crap. review in the morning.

hiliary clinton episode on sp tonite. terrorists hide a nuke inside hiliary couter. LOL

festival express was on today, cable. man did janis have some pipes. the dead were ok, but thier best yrs were coming. jerry is all over the place in that movie. personally i think the bands "i shall be released" is the highlite of the movie. i love that song!!!!!

saw the jerry band play that in 91 and jerry just ripped the cover off the ball in a whaling jam

Bunkerman said...

I do know what LSD is. I'm a little older than you guys, ya know ;-)

Mern, my chemistry efforts "would" be directed at making RDX & napalm - a bit more effective. ;-)

Re jewelry, Barton Biggs had that in his book. It's probably true, but I think it more applies to a conquered people, not an armageddon. The conquerees trade the jewelry to conqueror officers. His examples were from people with experience in WW II who were conquered by the Nazis, I think, Like France.

My knowledge comes from reading (& some from US WW II veterans) who were in Europe post-war. They were winners, trying to re-establish civil authority.

I am more concerned with surviving in a situation with no civil authority. So simple small denomination gold & silver coins are easy to use to make small trades.

Some jewelry would make sense, though.