Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Some Old Technology is Still Modern

I watched the Discovery channel show, Dirty Jobs, just now. The host, Mike Rowe, was helping change the 500 lb. tire and repack the wheel bearings of a huge Army recovery vehicle.

Lo and behold, I see the same tools and wheel structure of my 1943 Half-track. Yes, the modern Army vehicle uses that same wheel bearing and wheel structure that was used 65 years ago. I saw the same style of axle nuts, the huge socket wrench, the wheel bearing lock nuts, the same style of lock nut wrench, and the same style of bearings. I've changed and greased my bearings and they use the SAME technique and tools I learned from my Army half-track manuals written over 60 years ago. Hmmm, they did use rubber gloves when greasing the bearings. I do it with my bare hands. All that squishy grease. Cool. The old is still new. A modern mechanical anachronism :-))

I love big tools ;-) And bearing grease ;-)

No comments: