Saturday, June 2, 2007

Leaky Banks

I received a new credit card from a bank last week - it replaced another card & had a new card number & larger credit line [yes, I've been spending a lot]. So I verify it from my home phone & put it in my wallet & never took it out. Not once. Didn't use it online, either. Nothing.

So this AM I get a fraud alert call. There was a $5 charge somewhere in CA a few days ago and early this AM, multiple $39.90 charges at a "retail store". Not me, I haven't done anything. So I deny them (& the bank wasted 20 minutes of my time with disconnections & time on hold, etc.) The guy in India was polite, though. So I'll have to sign some papers they send. And they'll send a new card.

D'uh - where do you suppose the leak of that card data came from ???

The ONLY two possibilities are the bank itself or a low bid subcontractor.

My free time gets wasted because the bank is too CHEAP to have good security or use a more reliable subcontractor to issue the cards. Grrrrrrr. What a world!

No comments: