Friday, May 25, 2007

Is Modern Life Too Complex?

Yes!

Yesterday I got a phone call offer to consolidate my cable, Internet and a digital phone line [fax only] that are all on Comcast now into one bill. I was supposed to save $40/month & get a few more channels I rarely watch. So I said OK. Sounds simple, eh? .............. Wrong!

The call took about 25 minutes & ended when I had to verify the order on a recorded line. Then the phone number that was to be "consolidated" got mentioned [first time]. Uh oh, it was the WRONG number, being one of my other lines with Verizon.

So I had to call back to cancel the order and will have to endure another 25 minutes to get it right. And I have to call back this AM to check that the cancellation was put through since the second guy said he had to get help to do it. All because the first guy got confused between my "home" phone number and the Comcast digital line.

And if I hadn't realized the error, they would have completely screwed up my current home phone & business line. Argggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

QED. Modern life is too complex! Snafu, fubar.

2 comments:

Bud said...

I love it when they transfer you from 1 guy to another. And then you have to pretty much to repeat every thing you told guy#1. I try to use the internet as much as I can for all such.

Bunkerman said...

yeah.. That really sucks. Ditto the endless selection trees. Lots of them are getting rid of the "0" for a real person option, too. They force you into a cell. Grrrr.