Friday, May 11, 2007

TGIF and More

IBD says yesterday was NOT a distribution day for the S&P, NYSE as volume declined. Hmmmmm. Those stocks were the leaders. My impression was we just saw an example of some beefer traders trying to get out and lock in profits on their mo-mo trades. And so the stock moves into the hands of patient real buyers. Unemployment data was good. The retail sales data meant nothing - it was just an excuse to sell as a perceptive reader mused early AM.

From late comments yesterday (after I left the office), I can see I have to write much more on my "libertarian populist" political philosophy. Much seems misunderstood. I replied this AM, but I think more explanation would help.

SNAFU at work again, both for the re-construction of my sunroom and in my commodity account. I think there must be an unknown virus infecting people causing them to NOT pay attention to details. Hence they screw up no matter how carefully I specify or remind them or put requests in writing. It's not just X-ers either. :-(

Next week we get another CPI number - that's very important in my thinking. A flat or downtick in core CPI would be bullish. The PPI number today means little. But it sometimes is an excuse to buy or sell by ... "them".

Sky the Puppy is growing fast, now over 20 lbs. I have to take more photos of him. :-)

The Thirty Years' War and central European affairs before and around that period are really complex. But I'm enjoying reading about them and looking at the maps.

Las Vegas looms - glitz, dice, blackjack, food. Ahhhh. Three days in the adult Disneyland. :-)) I'll be there Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, and return Wednesday so won't post new blogs those days.

By the way, the rational objective in gambling is to have lots of fun while losing the minimum amount. The craps table has the lowest house take if you stick to the pass line and take full free odds. I might make a "Come" bet, too and take full free odds there, too. To that, I add place bets on 6 and / or 8 which also have a relatively low house take to reduce my variance & increase my fun. OR I play blackjack using the optimal play based on the computer-generated card [the Venetian, where we are staying, permits one to use the card on the table openly]. So overall, I estimate I give about 1% to the house. That low loss probability does not show one the variance of expected return, which is truly huge. I've done mathematical models of that and computed profit/loss return probability charts. Most gamblers get wiped out from the variance - there is no recovery from zero.

Money management is important, too, if one wants to have fun for a long time [2.5 days gambling for me]. A sufficient bankroll based on bet size is crucial to survive & give yourself a chance. I understand the games fairly well and have chosen my strategy to fit myself and have a suitable bankroll to have fun the whole trip. So I'm looking forward to having a great time.

PS: Just now, I was run, run, running on my running machines, trying to get lean, giving the "little grey cells" some work. And listening to ... Bubblevision :-(( BUT I heard something & a thought came to me :-)) A guy said that we MUST be near a market top since corporate earnings are a record 12% of GDP. BUT we recently also heard that now 50% of S&P revenues come from overseas. So WHY is US GDP the denominator or the "standard". Much of S&P earnings clearly comes from OVERSEAS. And we know that globalization keeps increasing. So I think that "concern" about earnings as a % of GDP is certainly misleading. One would have to subtract overseas earnings for a true measure. I think it's just "wall of worry", another way perma-bears delude themselves.

18 comments:

mern said...

still think the biggest risk other than bush making the world worse, is staggerlee. its the reality, but not perception yet.

"morning dew" was written late 40's maybe 1950. it was an anti war song. its about the pilots bombing koreans, that they obviously never see.

this was definitely one of the deads bigger tunes. Jerry owned this sucker, the passion came through in his voice and the guitar.

that boca show i took bud to, Joan Osborne made it her song on that nite.

lotta heads dont like joan, but i dig her, a lot. she is her own performer. shes not trying to sound like janis or donna or jerry. she gets it. she goes out there everynite and leaves it all on the stage.

if bud listens to that show enuff he may be able to distingish the two guitarists. john scoffield who is absolutely amazing, and john campbell (from bob dylans band) who while is solid attacks the music with the verocity of a neutered manatee.

im getting worried about the suns. spurs tuff enuff to get by, but the pistons mite not lose until the finals. after playing horribly in the first half last nite, they played flawless basketball (in chicago, down 19 in the 3rd) and absolutely kicked the snot out of da bulls (who r not too bad at all). chris webber didnt score at all for the 2nd time out of 892 games in his life. webber who swore his knee was done in philly, as been reborn in detroit. what a shocker, he was lying about being hurt so the sixers wud dump him.

and what the hell is mike vick thinking? first sneaking weed onto a plane in a water bottle. now we find out he has pits fighting at his house, to the death. he has to be dumb, and thats probably y he cant take it to the next level. u can only go so far on athletic ability. being a QB requires a high IQ.

thats why brady and peyton have rings, they watch film more than they practice. so does mcnabb, i just believe he has been limited by injuries and andy "i believe john smith was prophet" reid.

have fun in vegas, thats not my kind of town. i get there, i play blackjack, i leave. no sleep, no shows, just beer and blackjack. i have an addictive personality. thats why i need this regular job for a bit maybe longer. im pretty sure ill totally stop trading for a bit. i plan on sending some money to somaney for his next real estate gig. first one is up about 50% in yr that was residential. now hes starting a commercial real estate portfolio.

CME is liquid i guess. LOL

mern said...

so we look for .6% in PPI 3.1% yoy abd .2% ex food and energy.

retail sales .4%

the thought of a potential fed cut with the PPI going up over 3% (and i give that the bls discount, so its probably much closer to 6%) seems silly to me, but ive been so wrong for so long, i surrendered

mern said...

ROFL

in local weekly paper in my driveway this am. called "the laker" aka crackerville town talk.

70 yr old minister arrested with 16 rocks of crack

LOL LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bunkerman said...

It would have to be late 1950 if it's about Korea. If any government deserved a good bombing, it's North Korea's government.

Bunkerman said...

I'd suggest stopping trading & focussing on the job solely for awhile. First impressions are crucial & very important. So focus on the job awhile so they get a good first impression.

Bunkerman said...

Hmmm. Core PPI is only 1.5% year over year. A good number. :-)

mern said...

daily show showed bush speech highlites since 2003 last nite, from the "mission accomplished" speech to his most recent " we need to get iraq down to an acceptable level of car bombings" (before we leave)

man oh man, the worst ever

mern said...

im going back to work, likely, for my original managers at do we rob em how. they werent the crooks, the owners were.

they absolutely love me, they think im smart and work hard

:-)

mern said...

nasdaq not open yet?

mern said...

dude ive never seen this happen

Bunkerman said...

Gee, these darn appointments sure suck up time. Dentist, etc. :-(

Hmmm. a rally. That PPI number was a good one.

Bunkerman said...

Lyndon [aka W] is definitely the worst for at least 130 years or more.

I should wear a bag over my head for supporting him over McCain.

I still need to do penance that that mega-goof.

Bunkerman said...

I sold my DNDN. I read more about it and was wrong; it's drug is still unproven. Mistake.

mern said...

yep PPI great, take out the inflation, and there is barely any at all. ;-)

rickey williams failed another DT, y does he even bother.

and how about the cop, who stole weed, made brownies, ate em, called 911 and said " i think im dead" and he hasnt been charged yet.

i am at a complete loss for words over this tape.
i get dumber by the day

Bunkerman said...

Well, Mern, just think how wise you will be at 45, having lived through this tape and 2000, too. ;-)

mern said...

i was smarter in my 20's

:-(

45, i cud stroke out before then, maybe a heartattack. longevity is not in my family tree. i do take better care of myself than my parents, which is pathetic. i eat better and exercise a lot. now if i cud just cut back on da beer.

mmmmmmmmm, beer. its 5pm somewhere

lol

mern said...

have fun in vegas.

im outty

peace

Bunkerman said...

Good luck, Mern, in your new venture.