Friday, May 4, 2007

A Useful Word: "eisegetical"

I found a very useful new word when I read U. S. Grant's memoirs a few years ago. I wrote it down & finally looked it up [btw, it's a tough word to find in my dictionaries; I had to look in dictionary.com at http://dictionary.reference.com ]

"eisegesis" is a plural noun that means "an interpretation, esp. of Scripture, that expresses the interpreter's own ideas, bias, or the like, rather than the meaning of the text."

So "Eisegetical" commentary would be commentary that expresses the commentator's own ideas & bias, not the actual text. [NB: the stress is on the "ge" or the "get" syllable, pronounced as a soft "g" viz. a "j" ]. "eisegetical" is "ahy-si-jet'-ic"

That's exactly what so many Bubblevision Fed commentators give us. And Liesman, too. And all those economists. They must "eisegetors" ;-)))

Those dirty eisegetors. ;-)

5 comments:

Bud said...

Interesting Bunkerman. Sometimes I like reading real old newspapers ( from 17-1800s ) and am fascinated with the different words and styles of writing.

Bunkerman said...

Old books have that too, Bud.

I listen to some as audio books. That's how I picked up meanings of the "whither", "hither", "thither" and "whence", "thence" words.

Actually, I realized today how useful those are. It's really clumsy to write, "where did that come from?" or "where did Joe go?to?" But "whence came that?" and "Whither went Joe?" are brief, elegant & simple.

Of course if I talked like that, I'd sound pompous.

Bunkerman said...

I'm going to try out new words in the blog. I can actually remember the meanings if I use them. Otherwise I end up looking them up over & over.

Bunkerman said...

I bought a little more XHB. The chart looks like a budding C&P bullish pattern. The volume had a classical dip during the bottom of the cup. And the handle coincides with the 50 & 200 DMAs.

I have about a 1/2 position now. If the pattern breaks up & holds, I'll add the last 1/2. It needs over 36 for two days' closes

Bud said...

New York Times has an excellent archives section.